1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's for Dinner: Too damn hot to cook edition

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Aug 8, 2007.

1. KG

KG Active Member

Swanson pot pies. You can nuke them and they'll be done in about four minutes. It's been a while since I bought them, but about six months ago they were about 50 cents each.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yes :D

And KG, darlin', nothing like a pot pie. Steamy goodness! ... ... ...

3. KG

KG Active Member

My homemade pot pies blow the rest out of the water, but it's too hot to run the oven long enough to cook one. Although I could easily cook it in this http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2625139. I have only used my oven once to make a huge turkey, and another time when I was making a bunch of cupcakes, since I bought it last...November I think it was. It doesn't put off much heat in the room and uses much less electricity than my oven.

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

God bless Panera!!!

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Try a summer spaghetti: cook the noodles, but then top with olive oil, basil leaves and grape tomatoes cut in half.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Made some Mac and Cheese and stopped on way home from Lowe's at Outback for a salad.
    Salad was so small for the price that I emailed outback corporate effectively telling them that I prefer a different kind of lube other than ranch dressing when I get fucked....

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Summer meals round the old bachelor pad:
    bread and pesto
    bread and olive oil/herbs de provence
    bread and cheese (usually provolone or swiss, manchego or cheshire on payday weekends)
    add a small garden salad to any of the above to make it feel like an actual meal

If I have company:
    wheat rotini pasta salad- salad dressing, mixed peppers, zucchini
    black bean salad- olive oil, green chile, green onions, tomato, cumin
    blackeyed pea salad- green peppers, red onions

For breakfast, a big-ass glass of chocolate soy milk and a banana has been getting the job done-

As for lube, water-based is the way to go. Not sure if ranch lube is condom-safe. Although the "Hidden Valley" brand name has marketing possibilities.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

4 hours ago I had a spinach-salad with a few sliced tomatoes, a handful of sundried tomatoes, few turkey chunks, few hard-boiled egg halves, and a large serving of mashed papas from the supermarket deli. washed down with a bottle of bossa nova acai juice.

4 minutes ago I gorged on a big bowl of Chex cereal.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Salads are good.

But this is when a George Foreman counter-top grill comes in handy. Grill indoors without heating up the home.

Or if you're really lazy, there's always microwavable meals from your grocer's freezer section ;D

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Liver is fast and easy to cook. No time at all. Baby beef liver is best.

Brown an onion, do a quick sautee of the liver--don't overcook it.

When the liver's done, add a couple of teaspoons of balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar to the pan. Reduce

Serve with a green salad.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I have not eaten liver since I realized exactly what the liver does. And I plan on keeping the streak alive.

12. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I love pot pies but the only thing I like about 'em is the chicken and the breading.

-------

Summer salads are great. Add some salmon or shrimp.

Draft saved Draft deleted