1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's been the better hire Patrick at SI or Reilly at ESPN?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I think he's at the bank.

2. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Patrick's Q&A in SI often is taken directly from his radio show interview with that athlete. I pick Reilly but not by much.

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I still like reading Patrick's stuff more than Riley's, though that's not saying much. Riley has just been beyond terrible for quite awhile now.

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

The thing is, Patrick does zero work on his columns. He writes nothing. Somebody at SI takes the transcripts of his radio show interviews and comments, puts them in print form, and they slap Patrick's mug on it. It's highly unlikely that his fingers ever touch a keyboard. No matter what you think of Reilly, he puts in more effort than that.

5. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

That's what I'm saying. At least what you're reading from Reilly is original and somewhat entertaining despite the lack of hard reporting effort. With Patrick, you're reading second-hand drivel, Q/A's that frankly tell me very little about the athlete with the irrelevant questions asked.

6. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I love that this thread gets revived every couple of months. Anyone see Reilly's white suit on the golf coverage today? Yowza. But I agree with those who say Reilly is at least putting in minimal effort, so he gets the edge.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

But Reilly is SO fucking smarmy on TV.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Not to mention that (given what he's paid, so the bar's admittedly high) practically worthless at The Open.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Laughing, hysterically.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It's surprising that everyone's casting around for the Reilly of old, and wondering what's happened to him, because that should be obvious.

His work has suffered for the attempted adjustments to both the style and substance of his writing to suit ESPN, and because, let's face it, Reilly does not need his job, at all.

It's a deadly combination.

Draft saved Draft deleted