1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's been the better hire Patrick at SI or Reilly at ESPN?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Sneed

Sneed Guest

I don't think Reilly's necessarily gotten bad, but he's not the Reilly I grew up reading and dreaming of becoming myself one day. He still makes his stuff interesting and funny, albeit weaker than what he used to write at SI. But even he's said something to the effect of he's changing his style to fit the younger demographic that peruses ESPN.com and The Mag.

It works on some level. I emailed the beer pong column to my entire team here at school and they all loved it. Go figure.

As for Patrick....never been a fan.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Rick Reilly has become Carsenio
    [​IMG]

That is the straight stuff Oh Funkmaster!

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi600834073

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I'm sure Reilly cries himself to sleep at night, using wads of $100 bills as Kleenex.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I like Patrick's radio show during the rare times that I hear it. As a writer, he's a pretty good radio host.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

If RR is going to young-down his work to suit ESPN demographics, why bother hiring him in the first place? It won't fool any of his SI fans into switching, since they pine for the old RR. And it shouldn't mean much to the frat boys who wonder if RR has any hot daughters.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Carsenio...nice pull Dan.

7. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

When I was is college in the early 1990s, folks at our student newspaper would physically fight over who got our copy of SI first, if there was a Reilly piece in it.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I agree with this take. Reilly's a clown and a not even a very good one.

9. micke77

micke77 Member

Cranberry...in agreement. there was a time early, early on, I enjoyed some of Reilly's writings, but it's gotten way past The Cute Quotient.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Reading Reilly as a teenager made me want to be a sportswriter. His Bryant Gumbel profile before the 1988 Olympics is one of the best profiles I have ever read in SI.

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

True that. Why did they even bother?

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Saw the "Life of Reilly" segment on Sports Center tonight on the Cowboys/Yankees. I'm not sure why I bothered. Lame jokes, no insight (not that I should ever expect any).

Draft saved Draft deleted