1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's been the better hire Patrick at SI or Reilly at ESPN?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Patrick's "Just My Type" is the biggest waste of space in SI each and every week.

2. micke77

micke77 Member

Broadway Joe....that's really my whole take on Patrick and his column. it's usually a bunch of nonsense and is a page full of "cutesy" stuff...i seldom read his Q & A with an athlete or whoever because i know there will be at least four or five lines of pure silliness or revealing DP's knowledge of some pop culture tid-bit.
    somewhere, Red Smith is turning over in his grave.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Reilly swung and missed at another neat story this week.

4. micke77

micke77 Member

Yep, he sure did.
    I am worrying about that guy.
    He's better than what is showing up on the pages.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I loved Patrick when he did his show with Dibble.

And as a sidebar, anyone know why Michael Holley despises Rick Reilly so much?

6. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Reilly has been working on his new hour-long ESPN show about returning home, and that's taken much of his time. ESPN has repackaged him as a TV guy. Judge him on that when it comes out.

Based strictly on writing, not up to his par.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Both became culturally insignificant with their moves, but moreso Reilly.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Oh, I loved Dibble.

Holley? Probably jealous because Reilly can write.

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Lose-lose scenario, as far as I am concerned.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

It's out. The first one was with Josh Hamilton, and it was kind of, eh. If this is the main thing they're going to get out of Reilly, they're still not getting anywhere near their money's worth.

11. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I pretty much thought Patrick was a waste of space in SI the first half-dozen times or so, but he is an acquired taste and I"m making it a point to erad all his segments each week and they are pretty good. Not great, but good enough to enjoy.

Rick is a great talent, b ut by the time he left SI he was either doing a piece about being a tennis ballboy or racing cars, or some tearjerker piece about some kid with a disease or or addiction or some such. Much too predictable and becoming a carnicature of himself. Haven't read more than 2 or 3 times since.

12. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Advantage ... push.

Draft saved Draft deleted