1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's been the better hire Patrick at SI or Reilly at ESPN?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would vote for Patrick on the strength of his radio show.

Not that either has done any heavy lifting or truly ambitious work at either place, but Reilly has yet to produce something that was truly eye-opening at ESPN. I'm guessing this week's beer pong column isn't making it to BASW.

Thoughts?

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I think if ESPN and SI fired both, we'd all be better off.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Patrick. Reilly stopped being relevant years ago..

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Patrick is kind of like a Harold Baines or Jermaine Dye, he's not THE guy but will occasionally deliver a key hit for the mag and is good for the mix.
    I mentioned earlier that Rick Reilly is Danny Tartabull as a Yankee. A big name who has allowed himself to get lost in the mix and you wonder why they paid so much money for him.
    Billy Beane wouldn't draft either of them.

5. micke77

micke77 Member

You can have Dan Patrick. I tired of him when he was on ESPN.
    Reilly? Not that carried away with him, either. My jury is still out on him.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Patrick's radio show shouldn't have to be considered.

His work in the magazine is, more often than not, a complete waste of space. Ditto for Reilly.

At the same time, there is an audience for these things. SI and ESPN are banking on the idea that the average fan isn't too particular or discerning; they just want positive things written about their favorite teams, and humor written about everyone else.

7. I'm not sure it's fair, or accurate, to judge Patrick without his radio show, because it's all part of the package. And saying so, it's clear SI got the better of the deal.

8. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I quit reading reilly a while back when he started going stale. never could get into Patrick's schtick.

9. The fact this is even a debate is a sad commentary on where Rick's career has gone ...

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm with you, lone star. Part of Patrick's appeal to SI was his show and TV presence, since they don't have the meganetwork conglomeration that ESPN has. So it counts and, yes, Patrick is delivering more, IMHO.

Agree with Bristol Insider above too regarding the fact that we're even debating this.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Patrick is delivering what you would expect from a broadcast guy. His radio show is one of the better sport shows out there, not that that's saying much, but it's pretty good.

When I listen to Patrick, I don't feel sorry for him. When I read Reilly, I'm embarrassed for him and what someone with his amazing talent has become.

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

So true. I'd still have to say Reilly was the better hire, though. I don't see how Patrick's radio show has been much of an asset to SI. The only thing that makes me associate him with the magazine is that page of nonsense he has in there every week. Even when Reilly mails it in, he comes up with better stuff than that.

Draft saved Draft deleted