1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's a rookie to do?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KG, Apr 2, 2007.

1. KG

KG Active Member

The lack of desire to write about others is because in my current setting, I don't have time to follow others that much. I don't feel confident enough to write about them right now because I honestly couldn't tell you much of what's going on other than that I found out this morning that someone I know was singing at a game today.

I'm most passionate about NASCAR, but if I had the time to follow something else, I know I could cover it just as well. I don't mean I'd refuse something else, I just can't add another sport to my plate right now.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You asked for our advice, we're giving it to you.
    No one's suggesting you become an expert on other sports or topics; just that you might want to consider broadening your passing knowledge a bit and show you're more than a one-trick pony.
    If I were an editor, I would want someone who lives the sport I hire them for, but can also fill in elsewhere if/when needed. If I wanted to hire a columnist who has no desire to know more than necessary, I'd hire Albom.

3. KG

KG Active Member

Slappy, I'm not meaning to sound so defensive with my replies. I'm was just trying to explain why other sports are not at the top of my interests list.

I've written about several things, even outside of sports. Some things I went in to completely clueless and had to get up to speed really fast to pull off something worth reading.

I'm just passionate about writing about NASCAR, because it's what I enjoy.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I understand.
    I'd rather watch paint dry or the Yankees on ESPN than cover high school soccer. I felt dirty the other night when I explained to someone what an own-goal was.
    But I also know that knowing the basics of other sports and being able to convey it can only help.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

If you want to work full-time in the business, you can't limit yourself to one sport. It's just not realistic.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, look what being an expert on everything did for Bill Simmons [/ducking]

7. KG

KG Active Member

Thanks for the advice. I do appreciate it.

8. DrRosenpenis

DrRosenpenis Member

This thread is giving me a headache.

9. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

No one goes from writing a column in a small newspaper and trade publication to covering NASCAR. And limiting yourself to being interested in a single sport is a death sentence. I think you should familiarize yourself with how difficult it will be to get a strictly NASCAR beat. Because even the big boys like David Poole and Monty Duffin have broad knowledge of all motorsports and write about them. I don't think you have any idea how diificult it is to become an accomplished beat writer. There's nothing wrong with that, because most of us didn't when we got into this biz, but you'll understand just how long it takes. Becoming an autos writer for a major publication takes a lot of knowledge and many years of grinding it out at weekend dirt tracks and drag strips with some of the most yocal people you'll ever meet. Have fun.

10. KG

KG Active Member

Man I admitted to being cocky, but not that cocky. If I thought I could just drop right into the top I wouldn't be here asking for advice.

And I do understand how difficult the road ahead will be. If I didn't understand that, I wouldn't be spending my own time writing race reports and columns for free for different publications every week. I've gone to the tracks (credentialed) for some of the races on my own dime and wrote even more than usual for the weekend--unpaid. It's like I said, I know I have to pay my dues if I'm going to have a future shot at this.

I don't expect to become like Monte Dutton or David Poole just from covering NASCAR in a small newspaper, a trade magazine and a website and would never claim to. I understand that I have a very long way to go before I can reach such a level, but at the same time, a person has to start somewhere.

I didn't mention it because it wasn't related to my original questions, but I do go out to the local dirt tracks. If I'm traveling out of town for vacation or to visit family, I look up the local dirt track schedules and contact them ahead of time for credentials. As of right now I'll be going to seven different dirt tracks by the end of July, with only one of them even being in my state. Some are squeezed in around NASCAR races and some are being fit into trips to visit relatives. I'm almost always at a track somewhere.

Look, the road ahead may be long, and may even be full of ruts, but that's ok. I'm game.

In the mean time, I am having fun.

11. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Good for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted