1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's a guy suppoosed to do?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by rubadubdub, Jul 22, 2006.

1. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

i want to marry Rosie.

2. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

How about "co-conspirator" instead? :D

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Great post by Rosie.

Is some high school rivalry b.s. really keeping you from pursuing a woman? C'mon! ;)

We've discussed it on sj many times, but.........................

If you use it as an insult, one might wonder if you're good with it. Some women would be turned off by that use of it. Pairing it with 'drivel' is particularly unfortunate. And you never know, you might meet a woman here. :D

It sucks that you were near the ladies room, but go the extra mile to not even give the appearance of ogling. Be a gentleman!

I'm sure something will break for you soon...

4. Stop making work the center of your life.

5. patchs

patchs Active Member

Women can sense a lack of self-confidence like dogs smell fear.
    You have to be cool, not cocky, not being over obvious.
    It's a tough balance.
    Someone once told me when you're not looking is when you're going to find someone.
    It actually happened to me in a way, although I was pursuing her friend.
    Felt like the good Lord evened things up for a lot of years of misery.
    Hang in there and take some of the advice of the others here, they make some good points.
    Perhaps, ask a friend who is going out with someone to ask her if they have any single girlfriends?
    Can't hurt.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Dude, one phrase, two letters:

AA

The chicks you'd meet there would be perfect for you; plus, they'd never know you once watched women leaving the toilet at work years ago.

7. The Duke

The Duke Member

I'm think if you're single at age 40 you should have a few bucks saved up.
    My advice: Hookers!

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the gas is pretty much out of the tank. Try making friends first. Baby steps. Don't make every approach to a woman a do-or-die situation.

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Gonna throw this out there and wait for the ridicule, but along these same lines — Weight Watchers.

I know, sounds stupid as all hell, but it has real potential. First off, I joined and went from 290 to 220, so that's a good thing, BUT ... I was stunned at the number of good-looking 30-something women who attend meetings. And, yeah, they all have a little to lose, but most of them are only dealing with 10-15 pounds ... very few of the pre-surgery Star Jones variety. Lots of divorced women trying to take their lives back ... not unlike yourself.

Being a married guy, these women were of no interest to me, but it's a veritable gold mine for guys looking for a low-pressure place to meet women. You'd have to put in the time ... can't act like it's a singles bar ... but the ratio is silly (like, 25-1) and any man in the place comes off like the bravest, most secure guy in history and it sounds like you could use a little of that.

It sounds crazy, but if Mrs. Bangs ever kicks me to the curb, I'd give it a shot.

10. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Patchs is right.......your lacking self-confidence. Women are most attracted to confident men,...looks, style, job, car, will all be overlooked if you carry yourself with confidence. I'm sure you often say to yourself..."why is that beatiful woman with him?....I'm certainly better looking than that freak!" Most likely that guy had the guts to confidently approach her, and should could tell he wasn't concerned or worried if she turned him down.

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

another thing you can do is ask a woman you know -- wife of a good buddy, cousin, etc. -- to give an honest assessment of the way you come across to women. make sure it's someone who is honest though.

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

HANGIN’ AROUND
    By: Counting Crows
    She sat right down on the sofa
    I said, "Where have you been? I've been waiting for you.
    Cause last night I had something so good
    These days get so long and I got nothing to do"

Chorus:
    I been hangin' around this town on the corner
    I been bummin' around this old town so long
    I been hangin' around this town on the corner
    I been bummin' around this old town for way too long

We spend all day getting sober
    Just hiding from daylight watching TV
    We just look a lot better in the blue light
    Well, you know I gotta get out
    But I'm stuck so tight