1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whatever you do, don't make mistakes at Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Jan 23, 2007.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

If Notre Dame wants to kick him out of school for breaking the rules, fine.
    My problem is with the way it was done: delaying the decision to ensure he couldn't play somewhere else as a transfer because somebody at ND was afraid he might come back to haunt them after the first semester ends next season (special treatment?). It's like trying to control someone's fate after he leaves your institution - as if the Patriots told Adam Vinatieri he couldn't sign with the Colts after they refused to resign him.
    If ND were really interested in keeping discipline in its program, it shouldn't matter whether or not the offender gets an opportunity elsewhere. In business, it's called restraint of trade.

2. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Terrier, what (if you're an administrator at ND....or ANY university) would you have done differently than what ND did? You're making a pretty strong statement, yet I'm not seeing a lot of supporting evidence.

Again, the arrest took place over the Holiday Break. The SAC, which handles all such matters, includes students (ya know....jury of your peers & all that). No students, PARTICULARLY ones trained / versed in SAC due process are around.

Students came back 1/16. First meeting / session is scheduled for 1/22 (and scheduled well before holiday break, as most of these things tend to be). Believe it or not.....pulling a group like this together (students, faculty, administrators) doesn't just "happen". If for no other reason than a sense of fairness to ALL the folks involved, you want as close to 100% involvement as you can achieve. Not only does calling some sort of "emergency" meeting preclude this, it sets a painful precedent that the University (any university) simply doesn't want to deal with. They did exactly what they say they do.....they treated him like every, other student. Again, he was only one of a number of students to appear before the SAC on Monday.

Can't believe I'm actually defending ND. Makes me light headed....

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Layman, you seem to know what you're talking about with regard to ND and college administration in general. What is your take with regard to ND's underage drinking policies and procedures? Do you feel it warrants the same treatment as the drug arrest?

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

A free education in return for playing a game is not a civil right. Particularly if you violate specific provisions of the student code.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Summed up perfectly in two sentences.

6. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Cadet.....that's an incredibly tough question. Frankly, I don't believe I have the skills, as a writer, to answer it in this format (I could do it justice over a beer, though).

What I can tell you, is that ND really tries for consistency. It's what we're ALL shooting for, and often the most we can hope for in these situations. You draw lines / make your stand, where you can.

McNug is correct. While there is a TON of drinking at your typical ND football game, NDSPD has REALLY cracked down on the uderage stuff......as well as the RV lots on campus, etc., etc. In addition, SBPD & the county (w/ ND's full support) have cracked down on the off-campus, under age drinking.

The key points? Under-aged and off campus. Unofficially, that's where ND seems to have drawn their "line." Is there a blind eye to drinking (even under age) in the residence halls?? Maybe......but you do what you can.

Same thing with drugs / pot. BIG line. Don't cross it. If you do, however......don't do it while driving around town. It's the fine point that most folks seem to be missing here......and may just be the difference between a semester suspension from the hoops team.....and a semester suspension from the school. Of course, it gets a bit "fuzzier" when the ISP trooper doesn't tag the DWI charge on.

Cadet, bottom line: In regard to student affairs (this sort of thing), ND does it's best. They involve the FULL university community in the process. They try to treat each case individually. They stay pretty consistent, whether it be the point guard, the accounting major, the benefactors son, or thefaculty members daughter. In the end, they can usually look themselves in the mirror at the end of the day. In this biz., that's saying something

Draft saved Draft deleted