1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whatever you do, don't make mistakes at Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That "you-know-who" spot gets filled pretty quickly on the political threads . . . .

as for this one: Marijuana is illegal if you're 18, it's illegal if you're 45. There is never a circumstance when recreational marijuana use is legal or okay in this country. It thus has a stigma attached to it, as smoking it recreationally (word inserted to make the "but medicinal marijuana..!!!!!" people relax) ALWAYS means you are breaking the law.

Alcohol becomes legal to you when you turn 21. An older person who hears of a college student drinking underage says "That's what college kids do." ALL colleges look the other way at underage drinking as much as they can, since society accepts alcohol and there will be a point in these students' lives when it will become a legal vice for them. They cannot look the other way at marijuana.

Now, I would have preferred the kid get a semester suspension. But the rule is the rule, and a private university has every right to make whatever rules it wishes. Within the boundaries of law and acceptable behavior, of course.

Kid shouldn't have done it.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Another gambling scandal?

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Would it not be equally asinine to suggest that maybe one should be mature enough and creative enough not to spend one's recreational time on any drug, marijuana or otherwise?
    Just asking.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Prohibition was tried once, for a different recreational drug that people were determined to consume regardless of the law.

It didn't work then. It's not working now.

Legalize. Regulate. Educate.

5. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Actually, Notre Dame does do this at football tailgates. They stay out of the rich alumni areas but the nail people with pay on gameday parking for underage drinking. They have undercover excise cops making pointless and idiotic arrests every game day. Usually 100-200 people. It's an idiotic policy, but Notre Dame does enforce in stupid ways.

6. Sportsline's Gary Parrish on this fiasco:

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/9950117

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I drive 75-80 MPH on the freeway sometimes. It's stupid that the speed limit is so low. I got a ticket once and had to pay a fine of $150 or something like that. Tough shit for me.

[​IMG]

8. I'm just throwing this out there ...

If MacAlarney was a black kid from the school of hard knocks, not an Irish kid from New York right out of Notre Dame central casting, would people be more inclined to have sympathy for him?

I know race can be a volatile topic. But it just seems like there's a lot of, "The dope smokin' spoiled brat frat boy got what he deserved!"

9. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Good column by Parrish.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Because historically people have been prejudiced against the white kid out of Notre Dame central casting?

11. I'm just thinking out loud ... just seems like it's tougher to muster sympathy for this kid than, say, someone who didn't have as much, presumably, to go back home to. Or someone who was a fish out of water at Notre Dame in the first place, like a lot of the football and basketball players must be, I assume, who for the first time in his life has these kinds of rules and they are strict like this.

Again, just thinking out loud. I could be completely going down the wrong tracks.

12. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

First, let me make it clear that I have "no dog in this fight." As a college administrator, I understand a LOT of ND's action / thinking in this fiasco......but as a South Bend area local, I've also experienced (and felt the pain) of their ham fisted / draconian way of doing business. Tough situation, lots of layers. Couple of points:

1. Whether folks agree with the policy, they WERE at least consistent. A drug offense, of any kind, will get you run. For at least a semester. Period. Yep....even if you're (as someone asked earlier) Brady Quinn. May be harsh, but it's also no secret to the student body& this decision is right in line with Student Affairs Committee (SAC) norms. KM wasn't the only student to come before them that day....and wasn't the only one to get sent packing on Monday afternoon.

2. This took a PAINFULLY long time to play out. However, ND was (again), consistent and stuck to it's due process. They say they treat their athletes like all other students, and in this case, they did.

The arrest took place over Christmas Break. No students (except for the locals, of course) were in town, no way for the SAC to meet. Classes reconvened on Tuesday 1/16, KM was on the docket (with a number of other students / issues) on 1/22. No "special session" for a jocko......that's not the ND way.

3. If you're a ND fanboy, you can really consider this "bad luck." If he'd have been pulled over by the South Bend PD.....or St. Joe County Sherriff.....or even NDSPD......none of us would have ever heard about it. Just the way it works, here in "Hooterville." But this young man had the "misfortune" of weaving while turning off a state highway...with out-of-state plates....in front of an Indiana State Trooper. THAT'S not gonna get buried....

4. Which brings up the only part of this that makes me a bit less than sympathetic to the young man. Son, if you're gonna burn one, that's fine. Do it outside your dorm. Go to a friends apartment. But keep it the H*LL OFF THE ROAD I DRIVE TO WORK EVERY DAY!!

Draft saved Draft deleted