1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whatever you do, don't make mistakes at Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Jan 23, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Didn't know it was a "mistake" to knowingly break both school code and the law.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

JR, I do agree that the policy against underage drinking should be just as strict as the one against marijuana.

But the just because a policy is questionable that doesn't mean students can violate it without a price.

More importantly, comparing a policy against using an illegal drug to a mythical rule against interracial dating is at best disingenuous on your part. The rule against marijuana may seem backward to you, but it is in line with the law. A rule against interracial dating would be racist, offensive and grounds for a lawsuit. They are not even remotely similar and you should know that.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The interracial dating thing was a bad comparable. My apologies.

My point is--which no one here has addressed yet-- why is the university condoning certain illegal behaviour (underage drinking) but not another--smoking a joint?

It makes the university look bush league and quite frankly, hypocritical.

As Elliotte pointed out, there may be other factors in play, but in 2007, having a draconian policy like this doesn't enhance the optics.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't know what their policy is towards kids who are arrested for underage drinking, but I will say this as far as football Saturdays go: It's a lot more difficult to go around the parking lots carding every person you see and arresting those who are drinking underage than it is to kick a kid who was arrested with marijuana out of school.

Just logistically speaking, controlling underage drinking at football games is much more difficult than disciplining someone who is arrest for marijuana possession.

What they do with kids who are arrested for underage drinking, I have no idea, and I suspect, JR, that you aren't sure either.

(And I think the arrest part of this is an important distinction to make.)

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Of course they could control drinking at games but they choose not to. because beer and football--as someone else pointed out--is a big part of the frat-boy culture which apprently is still alive and well in 1950's Notre Dame.

The whole thing is just a reflection of the absolutely asinine attitudes that still exist around a recreational drug like marijuana..

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Not quite on the level of those guys, but two seasons ago FB/RB Rashon Powers-Neal, who was having a pretty good season, quietly never played again. Turned out he had gotten a DUI (IIIRC), and the du Lac policy came into play.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What's a du Lac? :)

8. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

French for "The Lake"

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And how many brain cells have you sacrificed to recreation?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Point?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

JR, I mean, come on.

I completely agree that marijuana laws should be relaxed. Always thought so. But they have NOT been.

If Notre Dame had a stance OTHER than this, it would be pilloried.

The kid did the crime, and he is doing the time. It's an absolute no-brainer.

Draft saved Draft deleted