1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whatever you do, don't make mistakes at Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hey, if he wants to smoke pot, he's got a lot of college options other than Notre Dame.

If you enroll at a private school you agree to abide by its rules. If you don't the school has the right to dismiss you. Pretty fucking simple.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If it's true this was his second chance, I understand it, because they gave in to common sense and compassion the first time. For him to betray that trust again, they couldn't look the other way when he's on scholarship and there are however many non-scholarship students who have not been busted for anything.

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

It's easier that way.

It's the same reason that parents flip out over their child's spelling tests every week but don't seem to care about more complex things like math and reading comprehension.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What if Notre Dame had a rule against interracial dating? Everyone support that because it's "the rules"?

Point is, this policy is stupid and backward, unforceable and arbitrary--like the War on Drugs.

Oh, and this article on "zero tolerance" is rather enlightening.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070113.IDEAS13/TPStory/Education

The Canadian Bar Association has taken a strong stance against the Conservative gestures toward zero tolerance.

Said Vancouver lawyer Greg DelBigio, chair of the group's criminal justice section, "I think it's a phrase that should not be used. What does it mean? Does it mean every person that commits a criminal offence, no matter the circumstance and no matter how trivial, gets prosecuted?"

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Speaking of straw men...

Smoking pot is illegal, whether you agree with the law or not. Notre Dame is completely within its rights to kick this kid out of school if its rules allow it.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, and so is underage drinking. Are they tossing kids for that? If not, why not?

My point is, it's a stupid rule, and as one of America's premier universities, they should be a little more enlightened and not act like Bumfuck U.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Of course not! They need the "beer and circus" aspect of their Football Saturdays...

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

BTW, like Switzerland, I'm completely neutral as far as ND is concerned--so I'm not a Notre Dame hater.

I'd have the same reaction if say, the University of Toronto, had the same idiotic policy

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Exactly... if it was Brady Quinn and they DIDN'T do it, I can see the venom for ND. But the school did what it promised to do...for any student

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

And there probably wouldn't be any students left.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Clearly, there is much yet to be discovered...but we don't know that this was the player's first misstep, jr.

We do know it was his first one where he was caught by the law.

Someone is not going to try marijuana for the first time alone in his car. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the team knew about his problem; wouldn't surprise me at all if he'd been warned to knock it off, or else. But once he got caught by the police -- face it, he's not important enough to take the public hit over.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Or any alumni to donate the big bucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted