1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whatever you do, don't make mistakes at Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Jan 23, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Common sense doesn't seem to have played any role in it. So much for an institution of higher learning.

Messages left for Notre Dame coach Mike Brey and sports information director Bernadette Cafarelli were not returned late Monday. A school spokesman told the Tribune last week that nobody associated with the basketball program would be able to comment on McAlarney's situation should he ultimately be dismissed

Gutless pukes.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I agree that the guy knew the rules and shouldn't have been smoking, but knowing the school's "stance" on underage drinking, I find this laughable.

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Interesting. I would have figured Brey was the "source close to ..." Guess not.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

For or against or a blind eye? :)

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yes, Williams had one prior marijuana incident (for which he was suspended). If you're against punishing a kid for one little joint, why is it OK to punish one for two little joints? I know, you can say there's a history there, but let's not pretend that McAlarney got caught the first time he smoked a joint.

BC is more lenient than ND, which is why Williams got a second chance (and blew that, too). ND has a written policy saying how seriously it takes a marijuana violation. McAlarney knew it, tried to get away with it and didn't. Pay the piper.

For as often as we talk about how athletes aren't held accountable for their actions (from middle school on up), I'm surprised anyone would have a problem with ND enforcing its stated policy.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with it. I'm just pointing out a difference in the two situations.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Schools, like other institutions, have policies, which are usually flexible, and breaches are usually dealt with on a case by case basis.

And unless ND missed the meeting, "zero tolerance" has been pretty much discredited as a way of dealing with issues such as this.

And worst is the school's muzzling the team about the incident.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Of course if the kid wasn't kicked out of school all the people ripping Notre Dame now for following its own policy would be ripping the school for NOT following its own policy.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Ding, ding! Winner!

10. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Ding, ding! Straw man!

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yep. I can't stand Notre Dame, but I don't understand the big deal here.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is "rules are rules," and there is common sense and compassion. Not all rules are equal. Sure, the kid has no right to bitch. He broke the rules. What Notre Dame did is acceptable, given it's written policies.

But the question is, given today's social mores, is it ridiculous for Notre Dame to come down so hard on a kid for being caught with a joint? I could understand the "rules are rules' thing if he had committed a felony. But college kids smoke pot. The horse has been out of the barn on this one for a long, long time. So they are selectively making this kid pay a life-changing price for what amounts to a small lapse in judgment--at best. Unless there are mitigating circumstances, whoever made the decision is a heartless bastard.

I'm as close to a law & order guy as you will find, and I say that. It's insane to me, though, that societally we are so understanding about so many big lapses in judgment and then occasional act so draconian when it comes to such little things.

Draft saved Draft deleted