1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whatever happened to Rick Kuhn?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I was reading about the Boston College point-shaving scandal of the late 70s and I was wondering whatever became of Rick Kuhn in his later life.

Can anyone shed some light? Just personal curiosity is all.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Google comes up empty. Great question.

3. mrblake

mrblake New Member

the big guy is living the american dream. job, house, wife, kids.......

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I was watching Good Fella's the other night and wondered the same.

Also wondered what became of Ernie Cobb.

5. mrblake

mrblake New Member

don't know about ernie but i know rick. he keeps to himself. he's involved in sports (coaches) &
    is an all around good guy. doesn't talk about the past.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

In my opinion, the Boston College point-shaving scandal is the best investigative work I've ever read in SI.

7. mrblake

mrblake New Member

if your interested in the story, read "Fixed: How Goodfellas Bought Boston College Basketball".
    good book. well written & researched!

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Same here, and yet when they did their list of greatest sports scandals a few weeks back (when Miami broke) they didn't have it on there the first day. Apparently, someone called into the online editor the second to inform them of the "miss."

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think you could poll a lot of people in the business and the Boston College scandal is off their radar. It was more than 30 years ago, but considering Henry Hill's involvement, I'm surprised this scandal isn't at the top of the list of biggest sports scandals ever...

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

If the scandal had been mentioned in the movie, it would be still remembered. And yes, I don't think most people know it. I think I learned it about on SportsJournalists.com about five years ago actually.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It was mentioned in GoodFellas, though only briefly. Just before Joe Pesci sticks the ice pick in the back of Morrie's neck, he says "did I tell you about the points we've been shaving up in Boston?"

Draft saved Draft deleted