1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Whatever happened to global warming?'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 16, 2011.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Read the links, stymie.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Those countries don't pollute worse than us. Not per capita. I have the figures somewhere.

And, again, why shouldn't American industry - world industry - have to pay for the full cost of their activity? Instead, they are pushing the cost on all of us. Is that more fair?

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This discussion will go more smoothly all around if you quit mistaking someone disagreeing with your point of view as an invitation to be insulting. This will be difficult for you, I suspect, but potentially rewarding.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Hh, I don't think that the argument is whether or not these things are happening, but more to the why are they happening.

They are studies that contradict others and we can get really circular on that.

I'm with the poster that agrees we should be good stewards of the planet.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That time is past. The opposing side has made it clear they don't wish to have a mature dialogue.

I insulted no one in particular. Only the shiteaters at large who have not educated themselves on the topic and accept only contrarian garbage ladled out by the usual suspects on talk radio.

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Seriously, no one on this board knows crap about this topic. It's all based on what we read somewhere else, and since there's plenty written on both sides, it's just a matter of what you want to believe.

That being said, I think the question posed in this thread has an obvious answer that was posed within the question: the reason people don't care is because the economy has taken over as a much more serious problem. Most people probably don't care what condition the earth will be in 100 years from now if they can't pay the bills a month from now.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What do you think is warming the air?

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you understand how weather works, which is now taught at the sixth grade level in many schools, the pressure (it's air pressure and not tempurature that causes fronts and thus weather) of the air created by the warmer water is what gives you the more dramatic weather.

It is not about warmer temperatures, it is about the severity of the weather we now are seeing.

All weather on the planet starts over the oceans (they are 3/4ths of the planet) so guaging the temperature of the water is the logical starting point.

9. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I don't disagree, but there are other variables that have to be looked at. You can't put all your eggs in one basket and think it proves anything with certainty. What we need is a non-political, impartial study that everyone can sign off on. We can't have one because if the wrong conclusion is found, one side or the other will call the study illigitimate. There is now way too much money involved.

Be responsible. Don't litter. Recycle. If you are a manufacturer make sure your waste is disposed of responsibly. Don't cripple the economy with a carbon tax that is not 100-percent backed by science.

10. Dick Whitman

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-report/ar4/syr/ar4_syr.pdf

11. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

http://thenewamerican.com/tech-mainmenu-30/environment/2377-ipcc-researchers-admit-global-warming-fraud

The Intergovernmental Panel of Climate Change

12. Dick Whitman

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/02/science/earth/02climate.html

Draft saved Draft deleted