1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Whatever happened to global warming?'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Thank you for posting that great article. I was fascinated by Australia long before I went there in '98.

2. No offense but only morons believe anything in science is settled. If you talk with any experts in any scientific field they will tell you that they are just beginning to scratch the surface of man's understanding of that field. For instance the Earth's magnetic pole is starting to shift from North to South as it has a number of times over the eons. Scientists have no idea why it does this or what effect this has on temperature. To argue that anything in science is settled is just ignorant. Maybe you haven't heard anything lately because the serious people got sick of arguing with the ignorant people.

Again - no offense.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

How about, "... as close to settled as is possible right now."

The thing is, we make policy decisions - major policy decisions - based upon science that is far, far, far less solid than the evidence that supports man-caused climate change. But with this one, all of a sudden everyone wants to flash their PhD (not referring to you, but to the general public that doesn't normally bat an eye about scientific evidence driving policy).

4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Science, as a rule, is never "settled." But the global warming alarmists want everyone to believe that man-made global warming is the one area where there is absolutely no dispute and no need to further test the theories. It would be quite funny if it weren't so shameful. The almighty dollar will cause people to use any means to acquire it. Up to and including schemes like carbon credits and offsets.

You want to prove there is man-made climate change? Take a look at it with an open mind and not look at it with a dollar-drivin foregone conclusion. The science is not settled, but the global warming alarmists minds sure are closed.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Carlton - If you think anyone, anyone at all, thinks that it's time to shut down the research, I don't know what to tell you.

I just wish we could shift the debate to, "What do we do about it?" Because that's not an easy answer, even if you are someone who believes in the worst-case scenarios. Every policy choice comes with its own set of consequences.

That being said, on the surface I think a carbon tax is a good idea because it forces polluters to internalize costs that they currently push on the rest of us.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

When you talk about global warming, it's not air temperature you should be looking at.

It's the water temperature of the oceans. That changes very slowly over time.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs/

7. I blame Alex Flanagan's bathwater

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think it's Alex Flannigan's flatulence problem.

9. What do you think is warming the water?

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That might be an offset then because she isn't using electricity.

11. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Deciding "what to do about it" is akin to throwing away billions of dollars to do practically nothing. China and India pollute worse than us and they aren't going to cripple their industry with financial penalties meant to curb "climate change." Plain and simple, without 100-percent certainty, which we do not have, it would be irresponsible to place yet another tax on American industry at a time when unemployment is so high.

And, furthermore, is co2 really a pollutant? Seems like there is some question as to if it is or not.

http://www.globalwarming.org/2011/09/30/inspector-general-report-on-epa-endangerment-finding-did-agency-outsource-its-judgment/

I see nothing wrong with recycling and being responsible stewards of the earth...but the schemes the climate change lobby would like to see are irresponsible and pointless.

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

*Sound of my head hitting desk*

Draft saved Draft deleted