1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Whatever happened to global warming?'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Interesting NYT piece today on how climate change has completely dropped off the American policy radar.

For example, according to the piece, a few years ago, 79 percent of Americans believed that the earth was warming. Today, only 59 percent do.

Obviously, other issues have come to the forefront in the meantime - mostly the sputtering economy. But it's fascinating to me from a mass psychology standpoint how people go a step further and feel the need to rationalize their waning interest. It's not enough to say, "I believe the earth is warming, but I'm not sure if dealing with it is the best allocation of our resources at this moment in time when the economy is in trouble." Instead, it seems that people feel the need to tell themselves that it's not even a problem any more.

At least that's my interpretation. As always, I'm open to others.
  2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

And I think a more nuanced argument has emerged, in which folks (like me) acknowledge climate change - the climate is always changing, always has and always will - without buying into the significance of the man-made aspect.
  3. Dick Whitman

Well, first of all, that "nuanced argument" is incorrect. Is there uncertainty? Yes. But that's not a good thing. Because the uncertainty is about whether things will be worse than anticipated.

But more germane to this article is why the United States is so out of step with the rest of the world. They are suffering struggling economies, as well. Sometimes even worse than us. But climate change has not vanished from their policy radar. Right or wrong, why have we reacted differently?
  4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Is the climate changing? Yes, it always has changed. It is called the changing of the seasons. Yesterday in Ohio the high temp. was 64. The record, set in 1946, was 83. Things that make you go, "Hmmmmm."

The climate changes. Man has nothing to do with it. All the junk science and manipulated data in the world does not change things.
  5. Dick Whitman

This is like saying that Justin Verlander should not win the Cy Young Award because when you watched him throw one pitch, it was a ball.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We cannot even fully commit to the metric system. It's almost as if it's our policy to be contrarian.
  7. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

What about the fact that we have not set a record for the high temp. in Ohio all year? Or is that just a series of Verlander balls?

My best advice for those who are arguing with people from the Church of Man-made Global Warming is this: Here is the only response they will not have an excuse for..."YADADADADADADADA."
  8. Dick Whitman

Yes. Absolutely. The fact that Ohio has not set a single-day record for high temperature this year is less than a series of Justin Verlander balls. Far less. Perhaps there is an argument that man's effect on climate change is not as great as the scientific consensus. Cherry-picking an arbitrary, miniscule sample size is not that argument.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Whatever is the meme of the moment is what the politicians will go for. Doesn't matter if it's true or not.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Rolling Stone has been killing it on the issue of climate change in the last few months. The recent feature about Australia was chilling.

12. When I was growing up every TV show had an episode where the hero was imperiled by quicksand. Gilligan's Island, The Six-Million Dollar Man - it didn't matter what show or genre - every show had an episode where quicksand came into play.

It seems that Global Warming has dried up all the quicksand because it has somehow been completely eliminated as a plot device.

For that I'm thankful.
Draft saved Draft deleted