1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whatever Happened to Concern for Foreign Oil Dependency ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 31, 2010.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well I thought that we had gotten started on building new nuclear facilities, at least five of them.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I saw a Top Gear the other day and Captain Slow was cruising around Los Angeles in a hydrogen-powered Honda that has a real possibility of being the first alternative-energy car that people will buy. No battery, you fill up at a gas station with fuel that costs the same as gas, so you're not limited by a short battery life.

No emisions except water vapor. Real power. Sounds promising.

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

When I was traveling in CT (which has insanely high gas prices), the local stations would do just that on the counter inside the station, and I think one did on the pump.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's the only product you buy where you only see the after tax price & not the pre-tax price.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Not even close. Start with cigarettes and liquor. You see the pre-sales tax price, but the cigarette and booze taxes are already figured in.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Didn't think about that. Sales tax is added, but the "sin" taxes are already factored in, right?

I'm not a smoker, and while I've got a pretty well stocked bar, I don't buy booze on a regular basis.

But you're right, and they should have to break out the taxes on cigs & booze too.

7. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

"Obama should have spent more time focusing on the economy!! Why did he waste time on other things, like health care?"

"Why is Obama ignoring our foreign oil dependency??

The ARRA devoted $16.8 billion on energy efficiency and renewable energy. States are using this money to develop or improve new clean energy initiatives. I think it's a little disingenuous to say nobody is concerned about our foreign oil dependency. Many small steps are being taken on the local level, thanks in part to the ARRA.

8. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Dammit, Trouser! There you go, confusing these folks with facts!! :D

9. zagoshe

I see, and while he is doing this, he is also escalating military action in Columbia in order to further strengthen America's ability to suck that country dry of oil......

I guess those "facts" and others like them are getting left out because they don't tell the story you are trying to tell....

And unless my math is not right and I ain't reading the same figures as you are, the figure is actually closer to about $5 billion......

Pesky facts, I know.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You just can't help yourself can you.

Trousar made some good points . why not just leave it at that.

11. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

http://www.energy.gov/recovery/

[​IMG]

Pesky, indeed.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. zagoshe

Ok, it is nice to see you can read a pie chart - now do me a favor, break down that $16.8 billion and get back to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted