1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whatever happened to Bill Walton?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, May 23, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

As long as I could use my own bong!

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I didn't always agree with Walton said, but I liked him as an analyst because he spoke his mind and ripped when necessary.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I agree. You definitely knew you were getting the straight stuff from Walton--and nothing was sacred or off limits.

The kind of announcer where I would wonder what was he going to say next----something I wouldn't say about many others.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

5. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

I once heard Walton utter this phrase: "Boris Diaw's dribble handoff is a thing of beauty!"

Silly us, for not appreciating the aesthetics of such a complicated basketball maneuver.

6. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Walton was always a tremendous frontrunner, bashing a player one game and blowing him the next. It always seemed that his analysis was scripted, since it rarely corresponded with the reality of the game.

"The Jazz need to get Greg Ostertag the ball. He's having a fine game."

-- NBA Finals, 1997

Walton sucks.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

It always bothered me that Brad Nessler never did that well on the NBA.
    Part of his problem was they tried to turn him into some hip character, and it never worked.
    I once walked past him in the Philly airport, he had just finished a 76ers game. He was wearing sunglasses (yes, indoors) and a bright blue suit.
    Looked hideous in person, can't imagine what TV did.
    Then came Tom Tolbert, already in shorts and a t-shirt to catch his flight.

8. chazp

chazp Active Member

I lived in Temecula, Ca. for about six years. I was a neighbor of Walton's former teammate Dave Meyers. Meyers described Walton as, "the most unusual person he'd ever meet. He said when he went through the ponytail and long beard period during his NBA career that Meyers didn't like playing against him, because Walton did not bath regularly and he stank like old food rotting.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm sorry, Bubs, but I lost all respect for Walton when he was color man during the NCAA tournament in which his son played and didn't recuse himself during any and all Arizona games.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Dave Meyers! One of my favorite Milwaukee Bucks when I was a kid.

11. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

What's wrong with Bill Walton, you ask?
    He's HORR-IBLLE!

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bill walton is one of the nicest ex-jocks out there, and i respect anyone that didn't speak much to the media in the 70s because of a horrible stuttering problem, who later was paid to be an announcer.

Draft saved Draft deleted