1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whatever happened to Bill Walton?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, May 23, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

A few years ago, it seemed like he was being groomed as the NBA face of the four-letter network. I admit that I am not a huge follower of the NBA or the four-letter, but I don't seem him at all. Did he die?

2. chester

chester Member

I saw him working the Cavs-Nets Game 3 a couple weeks ago.

3. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Strange man, Bill Walton.

Those monologues he does on shows like Mike&Mike and Dan Patrick are some of the most bizarre things you will ever hear on radio.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

He was experimented with a little, and now he does a podcast for the WWL, I think. They figured out that he's an acquired taste for most, even though there are those who like him a lot, and that Hubie Brown was a better lead analyst once he became available.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

OK, now, you're a sports cable network executive and want to find a good lead NBA analyst. Now, what you are looking for is someone who can sound authoritative, who can entertain a little, pass the conversation around, use phrases like "in the painted area." So what do you do? You get yourself a Hubie Brown, a Steve Kerr, even a Reggie Miller. But under no circumstances do you ask a Bill Walton to do that kind of job.

6. NDub

NDub Guest

Out-fucking-standing.

P.S. Walton is gone because he's a miserable hack of a broadcaster.

7. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

[bill]This was the most horrific post in the history of SportsJournalists.com[/walton]

8. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Actually, Hubie got bumped down to the B team in favor of Mark Jackson, meaning ESPN/ABC will have its fifth different broadcasting team calling the Finals in as many years having the TV deal.

2003 - Brad Nessler, Tom Tolbert, Bill Walton
    2004 - Al Michaels, Doc Rivers
    2005 - Al Michaels, Hubie Brown
    2006 - Mike Breen, Hubie Brown
    2007 - Mike Breen, Mark Jackson (not sure if they're keeping Van Gundy through the Finals)

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Can't leave out a Hubie TUP reference.

10. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

[hubie]Come on!!![/Brown]

11. boots

boots New Member

If you smoked as much dope as Bill, you'd be weird too.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

It was Gilmore or Moses or Darryl Dawkins who said a few years ago in a radio interview how Walton used to refuse to bathe for weeks at the time, then post up on gamenights causing opposing centers and forwards to fight back their puke as they attempted to defend.
    Walton used to follow the Dead and would neglect his hygiene for long stints.
    I think he's really cerebral, though, and would enjoy, I think, hanging out with him nowadays.

Draft saved Draft deleted