1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What you're watching during the writers' strike

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bob Cook, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Cracker

Cracker Guest

I find myself anxious to watch the new "October Road" on Mondays.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I watched the first few episodes of that, what seems like years ago. I can't remember whether I lost interest or they cancelled it.

3. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Hannah Montana.

Actually, I've been watching 30 Rock on NBC.com. I'd never seen it before the other night, and I'm fascinated. Unfortunately, there are only like six episodes on the site, so I'll be moving on shortly. Probably later this evening.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

October Road is the Mendoza Line of TV shows. If there wasn't a writer's strike, I doubt I would watch it. The reality stuff blows. Watching a lot more movies.

And CMT has a new show coming up this week: I don't know if Bobby Brown realized it is spelled "Country" Music.
    John Rich of Big & Rich will give one of seven celebrities a chance at a country music career in the new CMT series, Gone Country. The cast includes Bobby Brown (New Edition), Carnie Wilson (Wilson Phillips), Dee Snider (Twisted Sister), Diana DeGarmo (American Idol), Julio Iglesias Jr., Maureen McCormick (The Brady Bunch) and Sisqo ("Thong Song"). The celebrities will live in a Nashville mansion together and will compose songs with Nashville songwriters. In each episode, the cast will compete against each other in challenges that will test them musically and physically to adapt to a country music lifestyle, both on and off the stage. At the end of two weeks, the artist who is most prepared to impress a country audience, as determined by Rich, will record and release a song. Production is currently underway in Nashville. The six-episode series will premiere in January 2008.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

"What's My Line" and "I've Got a Secret" on GSN at 3 a.m.

6. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Season three is already out on DVD, that's what I'm getting caught up on. :)

I watched bits and pieces of S3 on Sci-Fi here and there, and got mixed up in a S1 marathon on BBCA last fall, and just decided to chuck it and get started from the beginning (beginning here, meaning the beginning of the re-boot, with Christopher Eccleston). Who's spinoff, Torchwood, is debuting S2 on BBCA this Saturday, a mere ten days after it premiered in the homeland. Rumor has it that Sci-Fi will be doing something similar with S4 of Who in April, thanks in part to the strike.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I miss the Game Show Network. I don't have it here. My best friend and I used to watch the old Family Feuds, Lingo, Scrabble and Press Your Luck -- oh, my, did we love Press Your Luck. They canceled it in my hometown, and it was a dark day. My grandma actually canceled her cable because GSN was taken off the air. She listens to the Yankees on the radio now simply to protest GSN's absence.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My TV habits haven't really changed that much.
    With Stewart and Colbert back on, that filled huge gap, but I still mostly watch what I did. I didn't get into primetime TV that much on the nets, I seem to hit the cable channels more so Monk and Psych, those sorts of shows. Plus the Wire is all new.
    BBC America on demand has been great, I've really gotten into Life on Mars and then Torchwood drops pretty soon as well. But I would have watched them anyway.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The only thing the writers' strike took from me was Scrubs. I'm a '90s junkie anyway, so like Jay, not too much changed for me.

10. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Canuckistans rejoice, Jericho is coming to CTV:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/show/CTVShows/20080124/jericho_unveiled_080124/20080124/

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, starting from the VERY beginning of Doctor Who might take a while :)
    Other than a random episode or weekday marathon, I haven't been able to find the Doctor on Sci-Fi in forever. I did catch a season one marathon a month or so ago, which was nice. I hadn't seen most of those, including the regeneration episode.
    Haven't gotten into Torchwood. Not sure why, just haven't.

12. Pretty sure the run is done now, but the repeats from the start of the year are coming around again. I hate to admit it, but this an addicting show.

I've been meaning to start watching The Wire and now I am determined to do so. Should I make sure to start from the beginning?

Draft saved Draft deleted