1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What you're watching during the writers' strike

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bob Cook, Jan 22, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Home Improvement's on Nick at Nite right now, if anyone cares.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

You folks were right about the Wire ... what an amazing show.

I've also been watching Scrubs and Family Guy reruns on TBS.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

The Colbert Report is back, so life is good

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I'm just getting into Mad Men, which I missed the first time around (probably because it's on frickin' AMC). Good stuff.

I say if you have Netflix or something like it, treat the strike as an opportunity to catch some good TV you might have missed. Watch any of these on DVD from the start:

The Shield (fantastic show I discovered on Netflix)
    The Wire (jeebus it's good -- late to the party but almost caught up)
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Lost (if you've somehow missed it)
    Damages
    Firefly (thinking-person's sci-fi, one of my all-time favorites)
    Sopranos
    The British version of The Office (the U.S. version is good, but the original is so much better)
    Rescue Me
    It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
    Dexter

That's enough great TV to keep anyone busy for a long time.

5. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I've been catching up on the The Closer and have snagged the first episodes of The Wire, via Netflix.

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Gossip Girl which I keep expecting to end because of the strike, but it never does.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

-The Wire's fifth season (been watching every episode twice...it's that good).
    -Weeds (just finished season two...awesome stuff)
    -And I'm going to get busy watching Firefly pretty soon.

Two big recommendations if you're looking for something to sink your teeth into

-Battlestar Galactica - The show is amazing and there's plenty of time to get caught up. DVDs are very pricey though.
    -The Wire - Get this. Watch it all. It's the most important television document of this or any other time.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

You should just buy it -- the box set is like $17 at Target. It has a high rewatchability factor.

9. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

My Netflix queue is backlogged currently with two shows I got hooked on a little late in the game (Bones and Doctor Who) and once I'm caught up on those, will be transitioning to old faves Buffy and Angel (certain seasons only, however). Lost will be back next week, which makes up for The Amazing Race being done.

I gave up on Project Runway when they deemed Victorya the winner of the prom challenge.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I did buy it at Target.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

NCAA 08 ON PS2 ONLINE..... if anyone else plays that, we have to play sometime.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I geeked out on Doctor who last year. It's good stuff.
    If you get BBC America, the "new" season starts this Saturday. It's already been on over in England, so stay away from the web sites if you don't want spoilers. They're about to start season four over there (the one on BBC America is season three), so we ought to have new episodes for a while.

Draft saved Draft deleted