1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What you'll never see again in sports

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RubberSoul1979, Apr 27, 2011.

1. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Aside from the wildly exciting playoffs, the Kings' possible move from Sacramento to Anaheim is the biggest story going in the NBA. It's another reminder of what rules in this era.

Quote Randy Moss: Straight cash, homey.

Quote Charlie Sheen: Duh.

If you're in your early/mid-'30s, consider some of the major moments in sports since your became aware. Maybe you unpacked from summer camp as Michael Jordan accepted the gold medal with a US flag - hiding a Reebok logo. Or you got your driver's license the fall they cancelled the World Series. Or you nursed your first New Year's hangover while TV kept going on and on about something called the BCS. There's a theme ($$$$) here. It's like you have to go back to your own days with overalls and Hot Wheels to find when in major pro sports wasn't nearly so rare.

Personally, I don't long for such bygone days as much as I used to. I love all the games being on TV. I love all the access to information and the more teams with a seat at the big table (at least in college football).

But as my city might lose its NBA team, it's worth noting what else in sports is gone for good. List three things in sports - from your own youth - that are extinct for good and a reminder of more innocent days. I'll start.

1) Wrigley field without lights
    2) USA vs. USSR
    3) The Final Four at a basketball arena

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

50-50 Iron Bowls at Legion Field.
    First two rounds of NHL playoffs staying within the division.
    Alcoa's Fantastic Finishes.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

1. Teams having just a home and road uniform.
    2. Multi-purpose stadiums (this is a positive).
    3. Four divisions in the NBA and MLB.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

--When stadiums and arenas were named only after cities or regions, beer or the team owner.
    --When Wide World of Sports meant something.
    --When boxing was worth caring about

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

45 saves and 122.2 innings pitched (Bruce Sutter, 1984)

A catcher stealing 50 bases (King Kelly, 1888)

Joe Morgan in a broadcast booth

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Your childhood, not spnited's. (RIP)

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I definitely agree about The Final Four being in a basketball arena.

My uncle went to the Nova-Georgetown game at Rupp and said there was nothing like it.

I covered a shitload of Final Fours, but I never saw one in a basketball-only arena.

8. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

1. Three to make two.
    2. Quarterbacks punting (Hello, Danny White)
    3. Quality sportswriting...talking about long narrative features that took your breath away.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Active Member

New Year's Day Bowl Extravaganza. I would wake up at 10 and start with the Outback Bowl and wouldn't end until the Fiesta Bowl that night.

IBM Presents "You Make the Call."

Hartford Whalers

10. ringer

ringer Member

1. NBA players' legs
    2. Olympians who can win both sprints and long distances (Eric Heiden)
    3. Printed media guides (bummer)

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

A bunch of statistical records amassed during the NBA's early 60s wacky run n gun era--Wilt's 100 pt game, Russell's 25 rebounds per game, Oscar averaging an annual triple double, Wit's 50 ppg, Baylor's 38 ppg, etc.

Nearly all home run marks amassed during MLB's late 90s wacky steroid era--Bonds 73, everything McGwire and Sosa did, 16 guys hitting over 40 in the same season, etc.

Nearly any offensive record amassed in the NBA from around 61-64 or MLB from around 97-01 should be taken with a gigantic grain of salt. We won't see statistical eras like that again in either sport.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Relievers riding to the mound in bullpen cars that look like giant batting helmets.

Draft saved Draft deleted