1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What you would do to keep your job

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I should say that this doesn't really apply that much to my current job situation - I'm not in any mortal danger unless something falls on my desk. But my response, like most people's, is pretty much dictated by my life situation. Which is to say that I'm not putting myself in any danger and probably wouldn't have in my professional journalism career. I'm lucky in that I've been with the same girl since before I got a real job, and, well, she's my world now. Married her last year and wouldn't do anything that would take me away from her more than my schedule already does. Sure, I think it would be a rush to be a war correspondent or something, but I recognize that I'm part of something bigger than myself. Maybe it's just two people right now, but it's a family all the same and I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize that.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I've lived a pretty good life. Wouldn't trade my experiences with anyone's. If I died tomorrow I wouldn't be so bummed for not doing things.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I'd go anywhere. Cover anything. Life be damned.

I'd like to have my walk on the moon someday.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What's the assignment?

Hurricane — Give me time to pack my Gore-Tex gear.

Hostage situation — What do you mean by up close and personal? Do you mean as in "volunteering to be the hostage" or hanging out with the cops at the command center a block or so away?

Embedded in Iraq or Afghanistan — What's the pay and for how long?

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

What Inky said.

Just give me time to grab my gear and a .40 and I'm there.

I've always wanted to cover a hurricane. I had an opportunity to go to Iraq three years ago but it was during the holidays. Opted out.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm right with you, Xan. I know, literally, people rarely die doing what they love; you don't die swimming, you die choking on water. But if I were somehow shot in the field, so to speak, that'd be close enough for me.

And, yeah, part of that is having no family or girlfriend/wife. And it's probably a bit selfish, not considering how my parents and friends would feel. But if I'm going to die anyway, and I could choose a way, I wouldn't mind it happen while I'm working on something important.

7. jps

jps Active Member

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Short of a war or an invasion, I'd cover anything.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Ditto on the so and kids thing. Yes, my parents might be slightly sad that their only chance of ever having grandchildren just died, but they can go spoil my cousin's kids. The only thing I have is a cat and I'm sure I could find someone to care for it while I was away for when I died.

I'd definitely go out and cover a hurricane. I mean, if it gets too rough out there, no one is going to fire you for taking shelter and saving yourself.

Hostage situation...it depends on where it is and what the situation is.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Soon, yes, and nicely customized.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Interesting glimpse into covering Iraq:

www.poynter.org/content/content_view.asp?id=150566

Draft saved Draft deleted