1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you not miss?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by alleyallen, Mar 27, 2008.

?

If you left the business, what's the one thing you WON'T miss?

1. The hours

32 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. The pay

32 vote(s)
    30.2%
  3. The daily stress

13 vote(s)
    12.3%
  4. Co-workers

7 vote(s)
    6.6%
  5. Idiot readers

21 vote(s)
    19.8%
  6. Headlines

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  7. All local fronts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pallister

pallister Guest

Ya, and that gum wouldn't be there if the janitorial staff did its job.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Go lick Stan's balls.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Aren't you leaving something out of that sentence?

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Idiot readers. Many of whom, as I've noticed lately, would rather attack the person than pose a constructive argument regarding the topic of which they are e-mailing/commenting/blogging about. Rarely do those readers ever call, though.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I think she meant go lick Stan's balls NOW.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Yet another example of how completely irrelevant Rush Limbaugh is to anything in my life.

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

You know what I wouldn't miss? Having my entire job revolve around things other people do.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

This may be the most depressing thing I've read here in a while. But it's so fucking true, clever.

9. Babs

Babs Member

I don't look at it like that. I look at it that there's information that people want to know, and they look to me to give it to them. I pick out what's important and what's not, and that's makes me both valuable and powerful.

There are some days where feeling like I missed out on something eats me up, but I try to talk myself out of it. Usually it works.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Absolutely.

It can be impossible to make vacation plans because something might happen on your beat while you're on that cruise. And in today's world, you don't want to leave any openings for someone else to pick up that big story while you're gone, and thus established that they, too, can work your beat just fine.

And yeah . . . it gets real tiresome living a life of spotlighting the exploits of other people's children.

My vote remains with idiot readers above all else, though.

11. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I've long lived by a rewrite of the classic adage, "Those who can't do, teach." For journalists, "Those who can't do, write about those who can." :) That's probably one of the few parts of the job I don't mind, watching people do truly amazing things.

I voted for "the hours," but I probably wouldn't miss anything in the poll. I've complained about all of 'em, except maybe all-local fronts... and I don't lay out pages, so that's generally not my (direct) problem.

I'm not quitting because entirely too much of my identity is wrapped up in being a sportswriter. For better or worse, what I do is who I am. Some days I'm more okay with that than others.

12. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Wouldn't you rather be the one doing truly amazing things, whatever those things might be?

Draft saved Draft deleted