1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you not miss?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by alleyallen, Mar 27, 2008.

?

If you left the business, what's the one thing you WON'T miss?

1. The hours

32 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. The pay

32 vote(s)
    30.2%
  3. The daily stress

13 vote(s)
    12.3%
  4. Co-workers

7 vote(s)
    6.6%
  5. Idiot readers

21 vote(s)
    19.8%
  6. Headlines

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  7. All local fronts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I would not miss the stress, the lack of pay, readers who think media is the "enemy" and freelancers who barely have a grasp on the English language. To this day, it irks me when people (usually coaches) get adversarial or overly nervous when I introduce myself as a reporter.

On the other hand, this business is a perfect excuse to go places and see things I'd never experience otherwise. It's an opportunity to create, rather than destroy, on a daily basis. And as for the hours, I've been an insomniac since elementary school, so they don't bother me in the slightest.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I voted for the idiot readers, but my answer might change tomorrow. My vote was influenced by the bitchy blue-hair who called yesterday to ream me because she couldn't figure out which channel was showing the tennis tournament on her cable system. I tried every possible avenue to help her, but after striking out, I suggested she call her cable provider. Unfortunately, she has found them "less than responsive," which obviously is my fault.

Yeah, the pay and the hours are lousy, but I can live with them. We're not exactly going hungry at my house, and I have a comfortable enough schedule and great bosses who let me do a good amount of work from home, which makes a big difference.

So I have to stick with the idiot readers (not all the readers, mind you, just the idiots) for now.

3. bob

bob Member

Along those lines, I would not miss dealing with the DBag athletes and coaches who treat us like crap. I can deal with almost everything else.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The poorest-paid profession in the world, exacerbated by the current labor/management paradigm . . . and you should listen and heed utter management tools who spout bullshit, for what?

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I used to try and do that.
    At my first post-Navy rag, I would do that. I'd go to the games of my niece's high school team, one of the squads we reguarly covered. It was tough because I would get people coming up to me asking me about coverage of their kid. Finally, after one particularly annoying mother (her son was a kicker who couldn't routinely make a 35-yard field goal but was hoping to get a scholarship) harassed me for two solid quarters, my sister turned around and yelled, "He's NOT working today. Would you just shut up and leave him alone?"

6. Mediator

Mediator Member

I will not miss the stress. I can be in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner, but if there's a rumor that some coach might be talking to some other team, I'm in my office for the rest of the meal.

I also won't miss the massive dumbing down of the section in response to circulation drops -- or any of the other flash in the pan reactionary responses. Yeah, that's what readers hated, that we were too smart.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For me it would be travel and hours... While I think all-local fronts are just about the most idiotic thing ever, I don't lose sleep over them since I never look at the print edition... :D

8. The idiot readers.
    But I wouldn't miss them by much.

9. That's the biggest thing to me. Standing around like a group of total fucking douchebags for an hour while some guy with an ankle sprain eats a sandwich in the off-limits area, knowing we're all waiting for him and not giving a shit. Then saying he's not talking when he walks out.

Requesting a five-minute interview with a football coach on some mundane topic through sports information and getting a third-degree interrogation about it.

That would be the stuff I wouldn't miss.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Early in my career, all of the PR guys I worked with were tremendous.

Now, all of 12 years later, they're all douchebags.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I wouldn't miss the lack of respect from readers, non-readers, coaches, athletes, parents, team management, newspaper management, friends, family, etc. We live in an age where you must respect the janitorial staff (and rightfully so), but you can treat a journalist like gum on the bottom of a shoe.

12. Same guys? Or different guys?

Draft saved Draft deleted