1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you not miss?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by alleyallen, Mar 27, 2008.

?

If you left the business, what's the one thing you WON'T miss?

1. The hours

32 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. The pay

32 vote(s)
    30.2%
  3. The daily stress

13 vote(s)
    12.3%
  4. Co-workers

7 vote(s)
    6.6%
  5. Idiot readers

21 vote(s)
    19.8%
  6. Headlines

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  7. All local fronts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Hours, followed closely by idiot readers.

2. i voted idiot readers.

The hours don't bother me. I despise waking up early.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I've been away long enough from the daily grind to know what I don't miss: the hours and the pay.

No matter where you go you'll have co-workers, bosses, and most likely daily stress to deal with. You'll also have idiot readers, but you'll just call them idiot customers. Probably no headlines or all local fronts, though.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The pay. Not having any perks. Bad hours. Not having lots of vacation, sick leave, personal days.

5. Babs

Babs Member

I would not miss the bullshit that surrounds the teams I have to cover. The power trips by media relations, the changing of plans at the last minute and not telling you, the "rules" they want you to follow but never bothered to tell you. The team trying to squash your sources, and lying not to your face -- instead just far enough away that you catch wind but can't pin it on them. The BS is waist-deep and I'm really really tired of it.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Write-in vote:

Friday football idiot fans and callers.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/46467/

7. TX Writer

TX Writer Member

The stress. The hours. The unappreciation of others, particularly readers and management.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Pay, I would put up with lot more shit if I made a little bit more money. The Bosses suck, you can never do enough, they want eight stories a week, you do that and they want 10, you do 10 and they want 12. The hours suck also, I would love to just be a sports fan again, taking a day off and going to a game.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not to be a dick, but I go to games on my days off all the time. My job has nothing to do with my status as a sports fan.

The key is, you gotta find a way to take some time for yourself. Whatever that is for you.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

The thing is the area that I live in if I show up at a game the paper is going to get calls from parents the following day about why there was no article in the paper about the game. This town has nothing other than preps and the days off that I have are built around the fact that there is nothing going on those days.

11. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

I would love to dump the stress. It wrecks the life.

Those of us who work at night give up nightlife, weekends, holidays and hurricanes/tornados/All that weather shit that makes you come in and work.

I haven't had a good Christmas or Thanksgiving holiday week in 20 years, and how do you date when you work at night and on weekends?

I might accept all that bullshit if there wasn't so much pressure and stress every time I walk into the place. Nasty people to work with, also. No team concept at all.

What's keeping me here? Not much, buddy.......Not much anymore.

12. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Stress here. Maybe if I could deal with the other stuff better it wouldn't be such an issue but that's life. I've been trying like hell not to care about what I'm doing in hopes that the other crap won't impact me as much but as much as I try, it's damn hard not to give a shit about what you do for a living.

Draft saved Draft deleted