1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you have done?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ArnoldBabar, May 27, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Two weeks and four days.

Not that I'm counting. :D

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd probably have taken my car to Carmax or some place similar so I don't deal with the hassle or the worry about someone turning psycho bitch on me.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Is it that soon? Egad. I need to get started laying down plastic and hiding the silver.

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Before I'd give him any money for repairs, I would have the car checked out by another mechanic. This guy could be pulling a fast one _ cover all of your bases.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Good, smart, honest mechanics are gems beyond compare.
    I have one, and I love him.
    By being honest and not trying to screw every customer, he's smart, because he gets all return business and I tell everybody to go to him.
    Just as he was recommended to me when I first got to town.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

He just called me again. "The mechanic says everything is wrong, need axles, timing belt, water pump, muffler, all these things. He says $1,200, but you told me it ran good ..."

Ugh. I think the mechanic is trying to take him for a ride. I've been driving it with all these apparently crucial problems for years without incident. It might indeed need all those things, but not today. The reason I priced the thing so low was so the buyer could use the difference to fix it up. I'm trying to explain all of this to him, but I'm not sure how much of it he understands.

He actually offered me $200 to take the car back. He's practically in tears about how he can't afford the repairs, the car is for his wife and baby, etc. I told him I'd give him the $300 we talked about, but I couldn't do any more. This sucks. Next time I need to sell a car, I'm driving it into the bay, reporting it stolen and collecting insurance.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Just park it in the front yard and let all the neighborhood's stray cats live in it.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Be strong. This is not your fault.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

You're a mensch for offering the $300. I laud your compassion. Now, what's next? I wouldn't do anything more. It's his problem. He's getting a car for far below its value, and getting $300 help fixing it as well. Be strong. You've done nothing wrong. In fact, you've been damned generous. What he's pushing for is a near-perfect condition car for a song. As my old friend Just_A_SID likes to say, the Russians have a phrase for this: "Tough shitsky."

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Do what you can. Karma. I'm not saying you were wrong. Just try to stick to the $300.

Sucks for him but he's the one who did not do his inspection.

Oh yeah, have you paid your life insurance premium?

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I understand the guilt part. I sold my 98 Contour to my brother in law, and within a month, he had to replace one of the belts (not the expensive timing belt because I had that replaced the month before). He didn't lay a guilt trip on me, but I felt bad any way.

But since you don't know this guy from Adam, I wouldn't have taken any mercy on him. Had I bought your car, I would have asked permission to get it checked out before I bought it. You don't do it the other way around.

12. That's a bad situation to be in, AB, but like others have said he should have taken it to said mechanic before buying the car. If what you're saying is true, anything that was wrong with the car beyond what you told him is on him because he didn't have it checked out beforehand.

Assuming the car was paid for, though, it might have been better to just trade it in and knock off that much off your note. But you probably got more from him than you would have on a trade, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted