1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ex - with that, i say i'm sorry. publishers with kids should never be allowed to speak to their own sports departments.

i feel your pain, really, kind of. i started in shitdunk usa, just became SE of the section, which was respected by those who read it. we covered preps like nobody's biz and pretty much kicked ass. new pub comes in, and decides to introduce the whole 'names and faces' line of shit to the paper's readers and staff. dipshit actually wrote his version of what sports stories should look like and filed 'em. sooner than later, he became tired of seeing his laundry list of names buried on page 4. before he was able to get around to firing my ass, he had a 'change of heart' and moved back to the shitty little town he moved from.

i left that stop many years ago, but still see the stupid look on fucktard's face when he explained to me what 'true journalism' really was all about. even though i no longer have to stomach white pages journalism, every time i read about it or see it, i pray to god that douchebag is tasting the bottom side of sack while watching hockey in a prison cell somewhere in one of those northern states he came from.

fucking white pages journalism ... that statement is an oxymoron in itself.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i don't know why i bother ... you have long ago become someone's bitch.

oh yeah, tell LLT i said hello and congrats on swimming the 200 in 58 minutes.

3. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Sounds like my last editor! He brought us in to ream us a new one about our "lack" of youth sports coverage even though the entire staff was out covering those dumbass baseball tournaments every single day. When I mean every single day, I went two weeks without a day off. Every day I had to drive two hours to cover some baseball tournament in a place that would have inspired Dante of the Divine Comedy fame to say:

"Hell ain't got nothin' on this place!"

Back to the story. Of course, both of the editor's sons played. He said, "Well, this is not just because my kids play" or something to that effect. The entire sports department, sitting in his office, had to bite our tongues to keep from laughing.

I could see a gigantic B.S. flag rising and flapping in the breeze.

A few weeks later, he said, "you guys are really kicking ass with your coverage." We were doing the same stuff that he chewed our asses about.

And people wonder why I left there.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

some people might wonder why you left bama, but i'm sure you don't stay awake too many nights.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Actually, he's a pretty cool guy. It's a small family-owned shop (same guy) and as long as I work his stuff in -- along with some other youth stuff to keep other parents, from as he puts it, "bitching at him", I have a ton of independence otherwise. I have to choose my battles and I know I'd lose this one, so there's no reason to fight it.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Contact the coach/YMCA.

Tell them that in order for these results to run, they have to be e-mailed to you and specify the format.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Then lose the e-mail.

8. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Life is good. As for naming every kid who participates, I'm not a big fan of it at all. Why are people so obsessed with their offspring getting their 10 or 15 seconds of fame? I never have understood it, at all. Everyone says, wait until you have kids in youth sports.

Uh, I don't think I'll ever be like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted