1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Jul 25, 2006.

1. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

I'd annex the Sudetenland.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

In need of some lebensraum, spaceman?

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

ja wohl, herr doktor

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I usually try to pick off poorly armed countries, even if they aren't in my intended sphere of influence.

Then I use one country to go on a rampage.

I always try to keep a buffer of two players around my countries so they can beat each other's brains in.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, you just provided the No. 1, dead lock bolt reason why you WOULD do it as agate.

If you think it's a must for the community, write a 12" story for the cover, and then do the agate on the second page.

6. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I have a slightly larger section than palmetto and no clerk to type in things sent to me, it's all done by myself. I agree with the suggestions here, build your section so that there is room for agate and use it. People like to read names and it cuts down on the droning on and on you have to do.

Your job is simple, write the clearest, most interesting feature on the event, focusing on the winners or the locals, dump the rest in agate, and if you have photography, run a lot and run it big. That's what works.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

despite what the fucks in circuation told you, no, no, people don't like to read names, which is why you don't read the white pages until you fall asleep at night. if it were that fucking easy we'd print the phone book, run the mugs we have with names and we'd all be out of work in a week or so.

people like reading names ... shit, grow some fucking balls.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Spoken like someone who's never worked for a JRC paper. :D :-\ :mad:

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

We have one of those guys, his title is a typist.
    Essentially, he put the paper together in those pre-computer days. When we went digital, no one had the heart to tell him he was out of a job, so he makes more than any of us and basically surfs the internet for five hours a day (and people wonder why he keeps pushing back his retirement).

10. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Especially in individual sports, people, i.e. grandmothers, parents, and athletes, do like reading names and will buy a paper because of it. The fucks in circulation don't have to tell me that, so much as the coaches and parents who are always trying to get more names in my damn paper have proven.

I don't see any problem with devoting a small chunk of my space to agate to give them that, while concentrating the bulk of space on my stories, which gives the people who don't want to read names something worth reading.

There are both types of readers and it is a fallacy that you can't somehow adhere to both. Agate can be a necessary evil, particularly when it saves you a time-eating phone call asking why Little Local Timmy isn't listed in your rag at all.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

then the bar at your paper was lowered to white page levels long, long ago.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

It happens. And the problem gets too big for any one man to fight. Worse for me is that my publisher's kids swim on the local Y-team, which means not only does it get in, it gets prime space with a photo taken by my boss from the stands (yes sir, that is a great photo ::). Can I have a raise?).

Draft saved Draft deleted