1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you go to school for if you were me?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sneed, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I'll say it, though I don't want to.
    Go into nursing.
    You can still write on your off time, but the paycheck with even an LPN would make living comfortable.
    Watching the wife finish her RN and the money that she will make is looking nice if I could stand the sight of blood.
    Or teach, that's always an option.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Also got married at 21.

3. Why did you do that?

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Um, because I love her?

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Because I wanted to.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Do not go for an LVN degree unless you're concerned that you can't make the grade in an RN program.
    You can be an RN in two years, but the course-load is a bit more intense.
    However, an RN can do what and LVN can do. An LVN cannot do what an RN does.
    Further, at least in California, LVN certs are pretty much a private, two-year school's specialty. That means you will pay through the nose to get a lesser cert.
    You can go to a state community college for very cheap and get a better cert.
    Also keep in mind the relocation issue. The nursing shortage doesn't mean the job is around the corner.

7. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

I think your plan sounds solid, considering that you say you are doing well financially for now. A master's degree in anything pretty much makes you a candidate to teach something at a small college or university.

My wife teaches 2-3 classes per semester. She gets paid $1,500 per class. The grand total income isn't much, but if you break it down for the amount of work she's doing, it actually comes out to $50 per class, each of which is about an hour and a half. Of course, there is some preparation and stuff that goes with it, but it is a good wage. As long as someone is working full-time like I am, it's enough to get by on and allows you plenty of time to pursue what you really want to do. It also leaves you time open to freelance or whatever for some extra income.

Good luck with everything.

8. Sneed

Sneed Guest

The support thing wasn't entirely serious, more a figure of speech in my head than anything else. We're both pretty ambitious people, so I'm not worried about her doing her part.

And why get married at 22? Because we pretty much figured we'd never be breaking up, we've known each other since we were 10, it makes life simpler, and we're pretty good at fighting with each other and then making up. And we couldn't get married when we were 21 like we would have liked because we were still in college five hours apart.

Thanks for the input, folks.

9. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I agree with this 100 percent. Had we the money, my wife would have just went for her RN first instead of her one-year LPN. The money for an LPN is good (18/hour), but what we are expecting with an RN is much more.

Draft saved Draft deleted