1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HorseWhipped, Jun 3, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

People should be able to buy what they want, but again when Exxon Mobil starts turning in a 400 billion dollar profit because I had to pay $44 to fill up my gas tank, that makes me mad.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So people can buy what they want, but the government tells them at what price to sell it?

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Everyone would be dead.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I would like to know why you both think this. (I'm pretty sure I know what O_T is going to say. Not yet familiar with exmediahack's opinions.)

Really? That's a rather general sweep with your opinion.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Apparently, car companies are allowed to profit from general stupidity, but oil companies aren't.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Very general -- but that's what we do. Breaking out the "broad brush" is what sets public policy. :)

I've bought three houses in my life. It's easy to fall into a typical, left-leaning world-view when you live in an apartment or have to pay rent on a house. You do not get a property tax bill when you rent. It's included in the price of your rent. Not as obvious.

The second you close on a house and sign your name to 30 years of debt... you have more interest in property taxes (I would, too, if I pay $2,000-$3,000 a year towards it). It's natural to care more about where you money goes to at that point..and that usually means you move to the right, at least fiscally.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I see where you are coming from, exmedia.

I know all about the property taxes. Up until just recently, I was a property owner. But I also know that just because I am not one now (and will not be in a financial situation to be one again for a long while) will change any of my political leanings.

But explain to me how taking away my right to vote now that I find myself in a place where I will be renting for a few years will benefit anyone.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I still disagree with you on this point, though. But that's just my opinion.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Let kids drop out of high school if they want to, without penalty. Why let a handful of slackers and malcontents screw up everyone else's shot at an education?

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

1. Start an Internet Hall of Fame for half-baked, ill-conceived, bad ideas.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Having read this thread, I think someone already beat you to it.

12. I'm sure if you made a lot more money than you do now, you'd really want people telling you what to do with it. Asinine.

Let's punish all the people who decided to make money for a living.

Draft saved Draft deleted