1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rpmmutant, Oct 26, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Notepad, it's still a complicated issue no matter how we handle it.

And if you read the entire thread, I was one of a handful who said to just say it was undisclosed.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

There could potentially be a broader story here -- maybe even a good one. But, serious care needs to be taken not to make assumptions or make this episode out to be more than it may actually be, too.

There is a big difference between a girl "trying to lose weight" and not eating enough, possibly out of inexperience, lack of knowledge, and a desire to watch her weight, and then, perhaps, suffering the consequences one time when she overexerts and overtaxes her body -- and someone who is actually suffering from anorexia nervosa, or exercise addiction.

People who are dieting -- including many adults -- often have done the former, not taking in enough nutrients, calories or liquid for what they're doing, because they're trying to lose a few pounds and just aren't being conscious or careful enough about what they are, or are not ingesting. It's just a mistake, a risk, that people make/take, out of ignorance or in hopes that the benefits will outweigh that risk. Sometimes, they don't even know or think there will be problems.

It is a physical, physiological issue with the body that will arise with anyone, beyond a certain point, and in certain circumstances.

People with anorexia, by contrast, are conscious of every single morsel they do or do not put into their mouths. Contrary to many just trying to lose weight, they know just exactly what they are doing, and their self-image is distorted to an extreme and potentially dangerous degree.

In short, it is primarily a psychological problem, relatively rare, and will not, and does not, happen with everyone who is trying to lose weight.

Big difference.

I would not assume this girl has any kind of eating disorder (unless the coach told rpm something to that effect on an off-the-record basis, which is almost what his "out" and suggestion of "protection" sounds like).

Not without lots more serious, in-depth reporting.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If the event is important enough to be covered, then an issue like this -- a player requiring medical attention in full view of spectators -- is important enough to pursue. You describe what you saw. If the coaches don't want to talk about it, that's their right. (And in these days of HIPPA and other cumbersome laws, they're probably terrified to talk.) But you do have to ask as many credible people as time allows.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Wow.

I guess it depends what info you have, when you have it and how confident you are in your sources. If the girl was in bad enough condition to be hospitalized,yeah, it's pretty serious. Which is more important, a player's life and health or the outcome of a game?

I had a situation years ago where a star player was arrested for petty theft before a playoff game. Missed the game while in jail and the team lost. Got a statement from the police and we printed it.

Had another situation where a star player (D-I scholarship) was kicked off the softball team the night before state tournament for boozing. Parents begged me not to report it, I told them I HAD to report it. That's part of a journalists' job. We cover people and events. Not just scores and highlights.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Sometimes you cover someone who skipped lunch. Make damn sure it's bigger than that before you suggest it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted