1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Tell him to deal with it and take the job. There are hundreds of journalists out of work. Tell him to stay there a year or two and move on from there. Waiting and hoping for something better is, IMO, dumb. Unless he has money to fall back upon, or parents to pay for everything.

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

if your son was at home
    crying all alone on the bedroom floor
    cuz he's hungry and the only way to feed him
    is to sleep with a man for a little bit of money?

and his daddy's gone
    somewhere smokin' rock now
    in and outta lockdown
    i ain't got a job now

so for you this is just a good time
    but for me this is what i call life

3. boots

boots New Member

I told him just that but he's wavering and I can see why. It is a big decision.

4. joe

joe Active Member

The big question is, how much is he making in unemployment?

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If he's so focused on the numbers on his paycheck (instead of his quality of life) then he'll never be happy.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

No-brainer from my perspective. Fuck, I'd rather be in Mississippi than in New Jersey under damn near any circumstances.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

He can always leave Mississippi in a couple of months.

He might not be able to get out of the government cheese line if he decides unemployment beats leaving your ex.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You keep saying "It's not Northern NJ" as if that is a negative. :)

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well Boots, now that you've defined the paarmeters a little better,I retract my previous post.

With apologies to our Southern friends here, there is no way in hell a guy from Northern New Jersey -- one of the most affluent areas in America, a spit across the river from the greatest city in the world -- could be happy in the cultural wasteland that is Mississippi...EVER!

Tis better to collect unemployment checks (what's that, about $400 a week now?) in New Jersey than even think about going to Mississippi...not for all the money in the world!

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Maybe boots' friend hates black people.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

FACT!

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'd rather work in (insert worst city you can think of) than be unemployed in (insert best city you can think of).

Draft saved Draft deleted