1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would YOU do? (Smart Phone Edition)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I've had a MyTouch 4G slide since August 2011. I like pretty well but also wouldn't mind getting something new. I owe one more $15 installment on it and it will be paid for. Last night, however, I dropped it in the parking lot and shattered the glass face. :'( I have the insurance for the phone and have paid $7.99 per month for the insurance since Aug. 2011but I did not know until today that there is a $150 deductible to get it replaced. I looked it up on Amazon and I could buy the same phone for $186. Or, I could get a new Samsung Galaxy S3 for $84.99 down and 19.37 per month which would mean that after next month my monthly phone bill would be about the same as it's been being since I would buy the S3 and a protective case and forgo the insurance.

So, should I pay the $150 to replace the MyTouch or go ahead and get the S3? Or both? Thanks for your thoughtful feedback.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

What if my son was at home, crying all alone on the bedroom floor because he's hungry? And the only way to feed him is to sleep with a man for a little bit of money. And his daddy's gone, somewhere smoking rock now, in and out of lockdown. I ain't got a job now. So for you this is just a smartphone but for me this is what I call life.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

God, I adore you more each day.

As for the original question, I don't know. I've never had payment plans on phones, so it's hard for me to put things as equal.

4. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Get the Galaxy

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

The muddled decisions still seem muddled, bad things still happen to believers, and great things can happen to nonbelievers. When it comes to making our decisions, the key that God is concerned with is that we are trusting and seeking Him.

Oh, sorry. I thought this was the "What Would Tebow Do?" thread.

Anyway, get the Galaxy.

6. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

It's a phone...anything that locks you into any kind of contract is a bad idea through which you lose money.

I had a 4G smartphone. It still cut out all the time playing streaming music. It still browsed many multiples slower than a computer. It still cost several times more than I what I pay since I switched back to my dumb phone. Now I pay peanuts, I still text, I still make calls, I just listen to the fucking radio when there's traffic (I can access Sigalert if I really want to, but it takes a couple minutes). I get unlimited data since my phone is dumb.

7. Felow1949

Felow1949 New Member

If i were you ,I would just go get the S3 ..Dude ..you are getting a new phone.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

$15 installments on a cell phone, huh? That's a new one. I didn't know people did that.

9. T-Mobile is getting rid of subsidies and contracts.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted