1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Would You Do? Part 3,749

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

As usual, when I'm confused or unsure what to do on the desk (because I'm only on it once in a blue moon) I turn to the good people of SportsJournalists.com for sound layout advice.

We're broadsheet, but we recently went down a size, so we're not huge. I have a strip ad/banner ad across the bottom of my sports front (shocking, I know!).

Anyway, we have two major beats in town. By that I mean, they're the teams that people turn to the paper to read about first. One is deemed "more important" by both the SE and ME (although, I don't buy it given attendance at games and feedback at the paper - but that's not my call). Both teams played today.

I have a killer photo from the "lesser" beat. And an average photo from the "big" beat. They are similar in shape (rectangular - neither truly vertical or horizontal).

Given that the "big" beat "should be above the fold," what the hell do I do? I can't run that story without a photo and I feel like I'm doing an injustice to the paper, my news judgement and photog by running the better photo smaller and below the fold!

If I had a true broadsheet, I'd have way fewer problems.

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

two colum photo on "big beat" with three colum two deck hed.

then use the good art big, below.

Draft saved Draft deleted