1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you do on a five-week vacation?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, May 21, 2013.

1. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

My uncle is in the medical field, he's a nurse anesthetist and use to do something similar. When he had kids he stopped, now he does a schedule where he is off for a whole month, then on (either on call or at work) for a full month. At first that sounded terrible to me, but it sounds like a cool idea. He told me he rarely gets called in.

2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Last year my wife and I - and another couple - did 3 weeks in Australia and then 2 weeks in New Zealand. If you get the chance, take that trip; both countries are wonderful - for different reasons.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'd use a good chunk of the five weeks on one of the following "bucket list" trips:

1. Take the Alaska Marine Highway boats all the way to Dutch Harbor, with plenty of time to stop a day or three in towns along the way. I have only done small bits and pieces of this route thus far.

2. Drive U.S. 2 from Everett, Wash., to Maine (including a trip through Canada). Again, I've driven parts of this highway before — some of them hundreds of times — but I'd love to do the whole route some September or early October.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Downside = Australia is full of Asutralians.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Best manager I've worked for took off five weeks every summer. But he was a very secure guy in general.

I usually try to arrange my time off in 10- or 11-day chunks. At my advanced age, I find that a week doesn't do much for me anymore.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If I'm just hanging around the house or traveling four hours or less, I don't care how long the time off is.
    If I'm traveling more than four hours, 10-days is the minimum.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I do get five weeks of vacation time, and although I wouldn't take it all in one go (nor likely be allowed to), it would be for somewhere like Australia and New Zealand. I've got an informal rule that I want to spend at least as many days somewhere as it takes me hours to fly there, so that's going to mean at least three weeks, if not four. One to do over Christmas and New Year's, probably.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The longest vacation I've taken since I graduated from college was 2 1/2 weeks. I've done that twice. Once, I went to Hawaii with friends and the other time I drove cross country with another writer and we hit a bunch of baseball parks on our way to Vegas.

At this point of my life, I can't imagine being away from home for more than two weeks.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I had a three-month vacation between my Army discharge and my first civilian job. Not my fault because a civil service strike in Germany at the time delayed my start. But I had a shitload of fun in Europe before I went broke.

10. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

My trip to New Zealand was my best vacation ever.

If I had that much time, I'd use part of it to do an African safari.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

You know, walk the earth, meet people... get into adventures. Like Caine from "Kung Fu."

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

No, Spike, you decided to be a bum.

Draft saved Draft deleted