1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you do on a five-week vacation?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, May 21, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The former photo editor at our shop put in 40 years with the company. Our vacations increase every X years, so he would get six weeks per year. Plus if he worked a holiday, he got a vacation day to bank. We are also allowed to roll 10 vacation days into the next year if we don't use them. Every few years, he'd do that and take all of June and July for vacation. He and his wife would take trips Monday-Thursday, then he'd shoot weddings every weekend.

As for me? Since my wife couldn't take that much time from her job, I'd probably take a major home project like remodeling the half bath. Or building a garage extension on my workshop.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Australia and New Zealand because it would take 3 weeks to do it properly anyway because of the travel time to and from and getting your body acclimated once you were there and home

3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I'd start with a full tank of gas, head west, and see the country. I'd like to see all the USA has to offer before I'd even consider traveling overseas. Too much I haven't seen in my own country. A five-week road trip sounds like fun.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I love to travel, so just about any trip is good with me.
    The Greek islands have always been a dream trip for me. If I had money, I'd love to sail through the Greek islands on a long trip.

I'd also like to go to Tuscany, but I heard you can't get a place there.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Golf in Scotland and Ireland, followed by eating and sightseeing in France -- drinking in all venues.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

That was my exact thought when I saw the thread title

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I've never had more than two weeks off at a time, but I think that three weeks would be about perfect. It usually takes me a few days to really start to relax and then by the end of it, I would start to want to get back to work again, except the near two week break I just came off of. Going back to work was the last thing I wanted to do.

But if I had five weeks that I could take in one shot, I have a few trips in mind that I've always wanted to do, especially if money wasn't an issue.

1) Europe: Not all of it, but a big part of it. I want to do the UK, especially Scotland and Ireland. Then jump across and hit up France, Germany, Norway, Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, and try to get Italy and Greece in there somehow.

2) Middle East: In particular Israel. Almost did this three years ago, then realized I was looking at one-way tickets, not round trip, blew the budget at that point. But would love to spend a few week putzing around Israel and then drop down into Egypt, maybe go into Jordan.

3) A drinking tour of the Maritimes. Start in Newfoundland, go to PEI, drop down into Nova Scotia and finish up in New Brunswick, of course seeing the sights along the way. Maybe hit up Quebec City or Montreal on the way back. Although, if done right, this trip shouldn't take much more than two or three weeks. The remaining time would be to let my liver recover.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Also want to drive a wood panel station wagon through the Alsace Wine Route in eastern France.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I get nine off in a row every summer. Well, my LLC keeps me busy one day each week. That does not count what I am off during the school year.

But I work about 50-55 very hard hours a week when school is in session.

So the answer is spend a lot of time with my kid. And sleep in.

10. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I'd need someone else to be off for five weeks, too ... .and then a great monster wargame.

MMP's Case Blue. GMT's Battle for Normand. World In Flames. SPI's Next War ... something that I wouldn't otherwise have time to finish.

And yes - I'm a gigantic nerd.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to spend an entire month in Rio and up the northern coast, at least since I read about it in my brother-in-law's magazine about travels for the rich. There's a sailors' paradise there and entire towns built into the cliffs. But it's probably more about the tanga than anything.

So basically: chicks, same time, two. See Sonner's post.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

This made me sad.

Draft saved Draft deleted