1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you do on a five-week vacation?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, May 21, 2013.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

One of the job-related threads mentions five weeks of vacation time, which I cannot even imagine.

But, given the opportunity to take five weeks off one shot, what would you do?

I've never done such a thing; the closest I came was after my Peace Corps service, when I took the long way back to Florida, first stopping in Cairo on a layover and then hitting SE Asia for about a month. But then I had zero money and zero job possibilities (and hopefully you'll never know the depression of writing "unemployed volunteer" on those landing card things), so I didn't exactly live it up. Part of the reason for spending as much time in Cambodia as I did was because it's about the cheapest place you can go.

But five weeks off if I had a reasonable paycheck? I think I'd do an around-the-world excursion. Or maybe head south and spend three weeks in Australia and two in New Zealand.

So where would you go or what would you do?
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Two chicks at the same time.
  3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Bike tour of Europe
  4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

and then what would you do for the other 4 weeks, 6 days and 23 hours and 42 minutes?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Active Member

It all depends.

If you get a great opportunity to do a lot of things at minimal expense, then take it.

The Cairo/SE Asia thing falls into that category though I can't imagine a place I'd like to visit less than that area.

As for me, I would line up some friends around the country and do some serious catching up.
  6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you ever wanted to travel internationally, that would be the way to do it.

I've been to Sydney for the Olympics, but I can't claim that I ever "really saw" Australia. That would be really the only place that I'd like to go.

I always wanted to see the pyramids and the Sphinx, but I don't really feel like traveling to that region anytime soon. I have relatives who just got back from a four-week trip to Egypt and Dubai and they said while it was great, there were more than their share of really scary moments.
  7. JackReacher

I'd use it to figure out how I lasted so damn long.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Greek Isles, starting in the eastern Aegean.
    Hit as many of them as possible.
    Now is the time to do it with tourists staying away.
  9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What did you do for Moddy to suspend you, KJIM?
  10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Just because you get five weeks of vacation doesn't mean you can or should take five weeks at one shot.
    I had an old timer give me some advice many years ago: Never be out of the office so long that they realize things work without you.

Anyway, I spent five weeks in Nigeria in 2002. I wouldn't recommend it.
  11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Exactly. I get 4 weeks. The longest chunk I'm taking at once this years is a week and a half.
  12. JackReacher

I think that goes without saying. I'm assuming this thread is just a goofy what-if?
Draft saved Draft deleted