1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you do in this situation?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TyWebb, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Cadet, the coach is moving from the boys to the girls team, if the initial post is correct.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Coffee. Need coffee.

But the same questions apply: Is there a raise involved? And will the boys see this as a slap in the face?

3. I've seen coaches change from boys to girls and vice-versa. Often it is because they have a child coming up with the team, or because one team is about to suck and the other is/will be good. Other factors as well (crazy parents on one side).
    Maybe the team being left will view it as a slap in the face, but that doesn't mean it is.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Absolutely have to run it. If possible, tell the guy in advance what's happening and explain to him why you have to do so.

Sounds like you did the right thing here.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Coaching salaries and stipends are public documents. (I know, you might not have them handy).

Actually, that would make a pretty good story -- what do coaches get paid in various sports at various schools.

6. Assuming, of course, that we're talking about a public school.

7. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

There are no "absolutely have to run it" situations in the world of prep sports. I'll hear arguments, for sure, and that's OK. I'm happy to let a story sit (a few days at most) if it potentially could permanently fracture a relationship with a coach and/or I won't get scooped.

Draft saved Draft deleted