1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you do in this conflict?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Jan 7, 2008.

1. End of the month, we have our two county schools playing each other in basketball so that's a pretty big deal. Being a 1-man show in the sports department, I'm expected to be there, which isn't a problem EXCEPT for the fact that our state's press association awards banquet is also that night and to head off any questions, yes I will be receiving some awards. And yes, they are both scheduled to start at the same time.
    What would you do?

2. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

You should do your job.

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

They can mail you the awards. Do what got you the awards in the first place. Cover the game and write a great gamer.

4. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

Agreed. Your readers won't care that you missed the basketball game to pick up an award. You'll get that anyway, whether you eat the lousy meal or not.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Send a Native American woman to accept your press awards for you and go to the game.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Beautiful. You're not the Solomon of SportsJournalists.com without reason!

7. Simply CLASSIC

8. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

No question here, you go to the game.

9. Ace, that move is so played.
    Send Gary Coleman and go to the game.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Or give your awards to Jack Lemmon.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Skipping your area's big game to accept an award for your work covering such games would be akin to the kid at my high school who wasn't at awards night to receive his perfect attendance award.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

See, now you're changing my mind. That's a cooly ironic move.

Draft saved Draft deleted