1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you do if you got a huge raise?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Jul 3, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Ask this guy how a few extra bucks would do him:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/28795/

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Ouch.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If I made enough to afford this lovely lady that I saw in Baltimore's Inner Harbor....I guarandamntee you that I could be happy. The people that write these articles are so full of shit it's insane. Most marriages break up because of money problems. If you polled 100 people today and said "what's your biggest worry?" About 85 of them would probably say "bills."[​IMG]

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

If I got a substantial raise, I guarantee you I would be happier. Hell I don't need a lot of money - I don't want ta lot of money because I would just blow it - but if I had enough to be able to pay my bills and rent and still have enough leftover to have a little bit of spending money (say enough to buy a new pair of jeans or go out to the bar and spend like a rock star one night a month) I'd be happy.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Fuck you.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'd be happier because I wouldn't stress over how I'm going to pay X amount of bills with only Y in the bank.

I'd be happier because I'd be able to contribute to my IRA once again, the way I did before my life turned upside down.

I'd be happier because I'd sign up for sports leagues without fear of injury: I'd either have health insurance or have the money to pay medical expenses.

I'd be happier because I could afford to go to the dentist.

I'd be happier because I'd be able to afford jeans that actually fit after losing weight.

I'd be happier because I could make the hour's drive to Target (I live in BFE) without having to think twice about gas prices.

I'd be happier because I could give birthday/wedding/holiday presents that I wanted to instead of only what I could afford to.

I'd be happier because I'd be able to travel to see friends and family who are scattered across the country.

I'd be happier because I would be able to think about purchasing a house instead of throwing my money away in rent.

So in short, I'd be happier. Not because I'd be throwing away cash on DVDs or whatever, but because I'd be less stressed out over money issues.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Obviously, the story was written by publishers and higher-ups in the newspaper industry. Just another excuse not to offer better pay. ;)

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Is a $60 cell phone bill really a "necessity"?

Can't you just monitor your minutes somewhat, cut out the inane small talk and make do with a $19.99 plan?

TiVo is fine . . . but a necessity? Maybe it's because I consider almost nothing "must see", but even if I did, it will be repeated. Miss the Sopranos? It'll be on again in two days. Or just plop in a VHS tape or DVD and record the thing.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

No personal offense, BTE, but I really hate it when these threads disintegrate into people passing judgements on the spending habits of people they do not know. Maybe the $60 phone bill covers four lines, which would make it a cheap plan. Maybe this person has family in another country so they need the international option. Bottom line, one person's luxury could very well be another's necessity.

Unless someone specifically asks "how can I save money on my phone bill?" then nobody here should be throwing stones.

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Am I the only person who thought this thread was going to result in a hard-on joke?

11. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

That graf is dead-ON from what I know.
    My ex-boyfriend (who is much older with a housewife who doesn't work and 2 boys) went from a $50K computer tech job to a computer job at the CIA (ssshhh, I'm not supposed to say he works for them) making $160K. After about six months of him pullin' in that kinda of dough, I asked him how the posh life is going. He said that they're still "broke and though they're more 'secure,' they still have bills." I was like WHAT? BROKE? HUH? ... He said that when you have more money, you spend more money.

I can't fathom making that kind of money and being "broke."

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Anyone debating the necessity in a cell phone on this board is either (a) not a journalist or (b) the luckiest son of a bitch on Earth who manages to always have exactly who they need to talk to answer the phone.

Draft saved Draft deleted