1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you do if you got a huge raise?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Jul 3, 2006.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

What communists put out this survey?

4. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Can I work less hours and play more?

5. 85bears

85bears Member

Maybe not. But it would sure increase my future children's "life satisfaction."

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

One of the findings was that, yes, people with greater wealth have more flexibility in their lives to be able to pursue activities that produce happiness. But they don't actually take part in these activities any more than poor people.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I would still live paycheck to paycheck, like I do now after getting a good chunk of raise a couple years ago. I would still fail to pay bills, have things sent to collection agencies, and buy CDs and DVDs I never use, sometimes never even take out of plastic wrap.

Survey sounds right to me!

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I remember, back in the day, when my father came home from work one day bouncing off the walls happy.

He had just signed a new contract with the local school district to teach junior high and it was for $10,000 per year. It was a very big deal to us back then (mid 70s) and we celebrated by going out to eat at a fried chicken place and gave mom the night off from cooking for us.

9. 85bears

85bears Member

I think what's killing us nowadays are all the added expenses that simply didn't exist just a decade ago.

My wife and I were figuring it out the other day:

Cell phone bill, $60
    Wireless Internet, $50
    TiVo, $12.95
    Astronomical gas prices
    Cable TV, $80

A lot of this stuff verges on absolute necessity in this day and age, and they've put a huge dent in household budgets.

The music industry wonders why people don't buy music anymore? That money is going to wireless Internet. Golf courses wonder why they are closing at a huge rate? Gas prices. People don't go to movies as much? Cell phone bill.

Etc., etc., etc.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The huge raise would have to go to my heirs. The shock would probably kill me.

Seriously, pay off bills.

Once that is done, the speedboats and diamond rings would flow.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Two chicks at the same time, man.

[​IMG]

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Bears: Tivo is worth every penny, but it's a better deal if you shell out the one-time fee.

Draft saved Draft deleted