1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you be doing...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, May 29, 2007.

1. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

I'd probably be a disgruntled desk guy somewhere.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Didn't you teach middle school? That might've had something to do with it.

--------------

As both my parents were teachers, I think I would've went that route -- probably music education. Just stay far, far away from middle school....

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Huggy ... both of those just described your job. :D

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Ha, very true. I was thinking that as I typed it.

Scoreboard, ya might say!

5. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

George: I like sports. I could do something in sports.
    Jerry: Uh-huh. Uh-huh. In what capacity?
    George: You know, like the general manager of a baseball team or something.
    Jerry: Yeah. Well, that - that could be tough to get.
    George: Well, it doesn't even have to be the general manager. Maybe I could be like, an announcer. Like a colour man. You know how I always make those interesting comments during the game.
    Jerry: Yeah. Yeah. You make good comments.
    George: What about that?
    Jerry: Well, they tend to give those jobs to ex-ballplayers and people that are, you know, in broadcasting.
    George: Well, that's really not fair.
    Jerry: I know. Well, okay. Okay. What else do you like?
    George: Movies. I like to watch movies.
    Jerry: Yeah. Yeah.
    George: Do they pay people to watch movies?
    Jerry: Projectionists.
    George: That's true.
    Jerry: But you gotta know how to work the projector.
    George: Right.
    Jerry: And it's probably a union thing.
    George: (scoffs) Those unions. (sighs) Okay. Sports, movies… what about a talk show host?
    Jerry: Talk show host. That's good.
    George: I think I'd be good at that. I talk to people all the time. Someone even told me once they thought I'd be a good talk show host.
    Jerry: Really?
    George: Yeah. A couple of people. I don't get that, though. Where do you start?
    Jerry: Well, that's where it gets tricky.
    George: You can't just walk into a building and say "I wanna be a talk show host".
    Jerry: I wouldn't think so.
    George: It's all politics.
    Jerry: All right, okay. Sports, movies, talk show host. What else?
    George: This could have been a huge mistake.
    Jerry: Well, it doesn't sound like you completely thought this through.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You will get a kick out of the credits to Over the Hedge.

I guess I would coach, ref and teach and then work my way into central offiice if a large Virginia school system.

It may have be better than editing a daily with a 10-page sports section for $300 a week, like what I was doing when I was 25.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

This might come off a little cocky, and I hope it doesn't. It's just the way it is.

When I was in my pre-teens, early teens, I was a prodigy of sorts. They wanted me to skip sixth grade, and we said no. And educators kept trying to guide me into some sort of higher calling, like medicine, teaching, law.

All that, and the first time I was in a newspaper office around deadline, I knew what I was going to do.

So pretty soon, the educational system stopped trying to fast-track me. Too much, in fact; they basically ignored me for a few years while some others caught up to me or passed me.

Anyway, what's this got to do with the original question? The answer is, if I hadn't wanted to be a sportswriter, I probably would have been in one of those high-end professions -- medicine, law, etc. -- and not nearly as happy.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

sorry, leo, but i'd be just one more miserable lawyer. i've been blessed to be a poor but incredibly fulfilled sports hack for 26 years. ;D 8) ;D

p.s. -- oh, and the envy of all my MUCH wealthier friends in the town we reside in. :eek: :eek: :eek:

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I'm surprised no one has made a crack at fearing for their lives if I was allowed to carry a loaded gun at all times.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'd fear for my life if you were allowed to carry a loaded gun at all times. ;D ;D ;D

better? ???

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Raconteur or gadfly, I can't decide.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Get back to me in a year.

Draft saved Draft deleted