1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would we see that's "you" in your house?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WriteThinking, Mar 3, 2021.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I've been thinking of this a bit lately as I've been home more -- not going out, not shopping, not eating out, and cleaning house more, etc., because of the pandemic.

It made me think of this site and a conversation possibility like this: If an observant journalist were to come to your home, intent on trying to get to know you, what would they see and (probably/hopefully) notice, that is a characteristic, telling indication that you live there?

This also came up once recently when I showed off a new piece art to my sister, and she smiled, shook her head knowingly, and said, "It's you."

These may be far from the only things that we'd say would define us, and some things might have, even probably have, been mentioned over time on other threads here.

But I thought it'd be interesting to see/hear specifics in one place, and I'll go first:

If you're observant at all, you'd certainly notice that I have lots of ceramic and glass-blown dolphin figurines, many obtained in different parts of the world to which I've traveled. If you didn't know me and you started to notice a recurring theme, you'd probably ask about them.

I also have a growing, cruise-prompted art collection, mostly of natural/scenic things (including sea-life scenes), and many featuring lots of color. I'm definitely attracted to bright, pastel and/or different mixes of colors. I also have a personal, framed photo of either myself alone, or me with whomever I traveled with at the time, taken in each of the different places in the world to which I've gone.

The full collection of Star Trek DVD sets that includes everything: movies and series, even the animated one, is also in evidence.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Every day’s the Music City Bowl at TV’s house!

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Champions of Life!

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  5. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Ton of old MLB ballcaps around the bar in my basement. Each one has a story.
    I want to do something creative with action figures in an enclosed coffee table but have not had the proper inspiration.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Beer crap ... everywhere!

cjericho and OscarMadison like this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've got a painting my mom commissioned of my local hometown bar. Most of the artwork I have is by people I know.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

You wouldn't see that much where I currently live. Hong Kong apartments -- at least the ones I can afford -- don't lend themselves to having a lot of things. The biggest indicator might be the many containers of curry in my fridge.

If I ever stick and stay in a place long enough to worry about decorating it, the most "me" thing would probably be the dozens of soccer and baseball scarves I've collected on my travels. I only collect scarves of teams I see play in person, so it doubles as a kind of travelogue.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Nautical and fishing themed decor.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

can collector?

11. WriteThinking

I love that idea! I'll bet that basement's a real, well-loved man-cave...

Octave and OscarMadison like this.
  12. WriteThinking

Could be lakefront's thought. But I know of people who travel a lot and go out of their way to try different beers -- like blue-collar wine-tasting. Do you do that?

Draft saved Draft deleted