1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What WOULD it take for you to leave this business?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by for_the_hunt, Aug 15, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Floor pie?

2. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i have no other marketable skills other than being a golf course marshal/cart jockey, so I'm stuck.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Maybe all it would take is the reminder that, when money was flush for the newspaper companies, everyone still told aspiring journalists, "You'll never make any money in that field." In other words, the big boys were lining their pockets with 20 percent profit margins while requiring writers and editors to work for relative peanuts.

Now that the revenue streams have dwindled to trickles, the journalists are taking the hit again via job losses and grounded ambition. What's going on in these lean times just highlights how stacked the deck was against us in the good times. Good times, I'm guessing, that won't be returning soon.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

last place i was at was making 43 percent, and multi-million dollars weren't enough because it wasn't 5 percent more than the year before.

those people haven't hired in a very long time.

Draft saved Draft deleted