1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What WOULD it take for you to leave this business?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by for_the_hunt, Aug 15, 2008.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Has your In Box overflowed with PMs yet???

2. NoOneYouKnow

NoOneYouKnow Member

SoCal: Well, I've had just one inquiry so far.

I wish I could say I had the power find a way out for everyone. It's very frustrating to see friends and colleagues go through the pain and suffering that continues to hit newspapers.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

It would take a tremendous opportunity for me to leave as a mid-career editor at a major operation. In 10 years, though, I wonder how papers will be able to pay career-sustaining salaries, even at the top, to write and edit for what will be thousands of Internet sites with, in all likelihood, relatively lower standards.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The minute my wife gets the first $500,000 in the bank from freelancing, I'm outta here.

By my count, we're only about $499,600 short. Sweet!

5. NoOneYouKnow

NoOneYouKnow Member

Editude: That is exactly what happened for me.

A great opportunity came along. And even then, it took me a while to actually decide to leave my job as manager at a major metro.

But, man, it's the best thing to happen to me. I have honestly thought that every day since I started my new gig.

6. That's what did it for me. And not necessarily matter for me, but for other people with kids and responsibilities. I can handle not making a ton of money, but I can't handle not making a ton of money so a corporate a-hole can make a ton of money. I'm just hoping I can hang on at my current paper until I'm ready to leave in about 9 to 10 months.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

has anyone said "waking up sunday morning?"

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

In theory, you are right about print being a fairly inefficient way to distribute information. And yet ...

I remember what it was like here in the weeks after Hurricane Katrina, when we were the only source of information people had. There was no internet, no TV and very little radio. We did it just like the old days, literally selling the paper from a card table on the street. It was absolutely our finest hour.

That whole episode taught me a lesson in assumptions. We assume that when we flip a switch the lights are going to come on, but when you live three weeks or more without that, you begin to appreciate just how fragile that connection can be.

God forbid that we should face a situation where we don't have the media access (Internet, TV, radio) we've come to expect, but it could happen, and that's why I think there will always be a place for newspapers.

For that reason and others, I'll stay here until they run me off.

9. StraightEdge

StraightEdge Guest

I've worked in this business for five years. I was laid off once. Another one will be the last one in journalism. Of course, if I received a sweet buyout offer, I'd take it and bust my ass to get a teaching certificate. A number of new schools opening in my state, so why the fuck not? Not sure why I just don't do it anyway.

10. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

I'm looking around right now, trying to get out of this business before they kick me out. So hopefully I'll be able to leave on my own terms before they put a boot in my ass.

11. I'm leaving next summer for an educational opportunity.

All the usual factors, but mostly the low pay and lack of opportunities for real advancement. "Advancement," for me, has just meant, "Add this one more duty onto your plate for no more pay, would you?"

Last night I had my fantasy football draft with my college friends, and I broke the news to a lot of them that this was it for me after the barrage of questions about how the team I cover is looking this year.

It was kind of humorous - a lot of them almost seemed devastated that I was leaving this business. I've always been the friend with the cool job.

That being said, I think they would all be absolutely floored if they found out how much I was paid for what I do.

12. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Within our field, yes, there is an extreme surplus of capable individuals. But all those who are flocking to teaching can tell you that this country has a serious dearth of individuals who are intelligent, can interpret complicated concepts and communicate them in a clear manner.

Whatever shape journalism takes, I don't think we're done. Too many people are too incapable of writing acceptably. Spend some time as a teacher, substitute or parent of a school-age child, and that will become remarkably apparent.

On the one hand, it's a disgusting indictment of tens of millions of educators and parents, as well as state and federal governments. On the other hand, it likely guarantees future value to most competent writers.

Draft saved Draft deleted