1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What WOULD it take for you to leave this business?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by for_the_hunt, Aug 15, 2008.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

All I need is someplace to go.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

A job I liked, giving me the flexibility I now enjoy.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, I hoped to be careful to not diminish my contempt for what traditional newspaper companies have been doing as threy've thrashed about in the wake of so many bad decisions -- with so many good people looking for work.

I'm just saying, in the long term, a young person getting into the news business -- in whatever form -- isn't doomed to a life of pain and angst and diminishing opportunities.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Just waiting on a guy to say the word.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Getting laid off.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Working at one of the 450 papers in America on the selling block. I don't want to leave, but if I lose that job, I'm done.

7. I'm working at a trade pub after four years of working for a newspaper. My company just laid off 100 people and we expect more cuts by the end of the year. if I get the boot, I'm probably done with the industry and will go into teaching.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I'll probably keep working until the checks stop clearing. Or until they send security by my house to confiscate my company-owned laptop.

Until then, I'll keep holding my breath and plugging away. I like to live without a safety net.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

It's hard to say. There's no money in any of the things I might want to do instead of this. I'd just as likely try to find a gig overseas than bail on this business.

What would it take? A gig where I enjoy the work and have some creative outlet. If the latter is lacking, I'd probably find myself stringing all over again.

EDIT: Or a sugar momma. I'm not above being a house husband. :)

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Being less five months out of college, I've already decided to switch careers and head back to school for another year. I didn't find it worth my time take a job with a four-year degree with a salary that I could be making while being a cook at a local restaurant. I love the business and the industry of sports writing, but the lack of job security and the horrible rate of pay just wasn't what I was expecting.

I'm already in the process of switching careers and I hope to be fully acclimated into something else within a year from now.

11. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Like SF said, I'm still waiting for what's next at this point, a new ship, if you will. I think there'll be a place on it for people like us, and I'm watching for the opportunity to get there, or carve out the opportunity myself.
    I worry, though, because that seems to be taking awhile to happen, and the ship I'm on is sinking faster all the time. So, maybe a good scholarship to law school.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Oh yeah? Don't be so sure. My cousin's son just got hired as head chef at a Chicagoland restaurant for $80K. Plus free use of a leased 2008 Infiniti SUV. And his previous job was as one of the cooks at a steakhouse in Florida.

Good luck to you, though, Kevin.

Draft saved Draft deleted