1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What WOULD it take for you to leave this business?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by for_the_hunt, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Embrace the future, KY, but live for the moment.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Unless you're broke and in-between jobs. Then just hang out at your apartment for a while.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Not having any job security can make even the most passionate writers want to get the fuck out.

I have friends who have top jobs at top papers whose hearts skip a beat every time their bosses call.

That's what it's come to.

When you wake up every morning and work your ass off and do everything right and you know that it won't matter... That makes you hate your job.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I haven't gotten to that point.

Yet.

I know people who are like that, and I feel for them. Job security really isn't an issue for me, at least I hope it isn't. But with us getting sold in the near future, who the fuck knows what's going to happen?

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I think leaving is hard for a lot of us, unless there is a good buyout offer on the table or unless we just lose it one day when we're told "no raises" and "more work."

As for staying gone, that pretty much is decided for us now by the bean counters and the shrinking industry.

One year's pay and one year's medical would do it for me. Maybe even a little less, just to get on with the next part of life. (But, psst, don't tell the bosses that.)

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

If there was a good buyout offer on the table, or an equal paying job out there I'd leave. Future just ain't bright, and I'm in one of the lucky places right now.

And yeah, staying out is hard. I've left the biz twice, came back twice.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Changed jobs recently, haven't been here long enough to get a decent buyout offer. They'll have to kick me out the door and padlock the damn thing.

... unless, of course, I get an unsolicited offer from somewhere.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

bucky, you're the first one I call if ever I have the power to hire.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You don't work at the Plain-Dealer, do you, dammit?

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, something that bears repeating, yet again.

Print is in trouble.

The desire for information, and the people to write, edit and produce it, has never been greater.

We're not going to be here in 50 years with no reporters, editors or production people. They'll just be doing their jobs in different ways.

So there are two avenues: Turn to another profession, or be at the top of the list of people willing to adapt to the changing environment.

I'm not ignoring all the cutbacks across the business. It's stomach-wrenching.

But there will still be jobs for people who want to purvey information and frankly, well beyond traditional newspapers, which might ultimately lead to more options, not fewer.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree with that, SF, but in the meantime newspapers honchos are making knee-jerk decisions with peoples' lives, and few newspapers seem really interested in putting the manpower and resources into really doing a bangup job on the web.

It's sort of an after-market add-on.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Sign me up for that "more options" career path, please.

Draft saved Draft deleted