1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What WOULD it take for you to leave this business?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by for_the_hunt, Aug 15, 2008.

1. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

Portland's paper might be gone, there's layoffs in Raleigh, possible layoffs in Palm Beach, probable layoffs at Gannett, no raises at McClatchy, and Sam Zell has lost his company about $20 million a day --- and all that's just from the recent Page 1 posts.

In 1985, the average salary was a little more than $22K. Two decades later, some college grads with journalism degrees are making less than that. And don't forget about that memorable food stamps thread.

It keeps getting worse. Does any other site, dedicated to bringing people of one profession together, have a sticky on "Getting out of the business"?

So, put simply, good news in this business is about as hard to come by as $1 gasoline. Still, most journalists put up with it ... but, at what point, do you say enough's enough and get out of the business? Or wouldn't you, no matter what?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

As soon as I find something else, I'm gone. I reached the jumping off point about six months ago.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

McDonald's to stop running background checks.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The right buyout offer.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Leaving is easy; staying gone is much more difficult.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ain't that the fucking truth.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A decent job offer.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That would leave me much better off than I am now.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, pretty soon a bad job offer may look good.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

My answer is somewhere between sportschick's and mizzougrad's.

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I remember reading about some paper offering employees one year's salary if they accepted a buyout. I'd at least leave for that much, and try to stay gone from the industry.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I don't ever want to get out of this business. I've been doing this for five years now, going on six, and I love it.

But the future absolutely scares the shit out of me. I'm afraid of the unknown. I just can't imagine doing something else for the next 50 or so years until I can retire.

Draft saved Draft deleted