1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would it take for McCain to win?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever been the VP on consecutive tickets with different presidential candidates?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Did you see the one where it took the guy 3 1/2 minutes to spit out the question?

3. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Why would the Dems want a ticket with two relative political neophytes?

Edwards' inexperience hurt Kerry in '04; you know you're not doing well when Dick Cheney kicks your ass in a TV debate.

Also, Edwards' wife is dying of cancer. He should be with her, not trying to run for VP.

4. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I was there. And I was really disappointed in CNN for how they ran that as a joke type situation.
    They should have actually ran the question he finally asked and McCain's answer. Instead they played it off like he just asked why should people vote for McCain.

The actual question was why should Christians or evangelicals vote for him. To which McCain responded that he was raised on Judeo-Christian values and that's what helps and guides him spiritually, but that this is a nation that despite being of that Judeo-Christian background excepts and celebrates people of all religions.

5. Mizzougrad96

If it was Kerry, he would have had him tasered. :D

6. Jssst21

Jssst21 New Member

I have little doubt that Obama will eviscerate McCain in a televised debate and suspect that will swing the numbers hugely in his favor. I do not mean that Obama is necessarily right and will win any head to head match up on merit, but rather that he is, by far, the more deft public speaker. If McCain comes off badly in the debates, that should be set and match. As to the original question, How can McCain win, I suspect the debates will be his one and only shot to turn the tide. He needs a Bentsenesque performance. A, "you are not Kennedy" type zinger to get some mojo. Short of that, I think he is toast.

Just my opinion.

And yay for delurking.

7. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, that Bentsen line might have helped Dukakis win Minnesota.

8. Jssst21

Jssst21 New Member

Not commenting on the electoral impact of the Bentsen line per se. It was a VP debate, after all, which would probably get destroyed by WNBA reruns in the ratings. However, a similarly well remembered zinger, delivered by a presidential candidate in a highly contested election, could at least give him a little pop. As it stands now, I see Obama running circles around McCain in a debate and to me his only chance for a win is to make Obama look inexperienced or uninformed in a side by side setting. The question was how McCain could win, and the only way I can see it happening is if Obama is dominated, head to head. Personally I don't see it happening.

9. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

By any sane measure, the Republican candidate went 0-for-3 -- a dismal, embarrassing 0-for-3 -- in the last two debate cycles. How did that work out?

(As an aside, go back and read some of the mainstream-media analyses of the Bush-Gore debates, one of the true low points in a spectacularly dreadful 2000 election body of work.)

10. Jssst21

Jssst21 New Member

Yeah, fair enough, but this election just feels like there are a lot more people on the fence than in previous turns. Perhaps I am kidding myself and rock solid partisan voting blocs will do their thing, but neither McCain nor Obama seem to have as firm a grip on their traditional bases as would be expected. I think more people than usual are legitimately undecided, be they bitter Hillary supporters or right wingers for whom McCain is insufficiently NeoCon, but I think the opportunity is there with a dominating enough performance for one of them to take hold of this thing.

What do I know though? ???

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

In Soundbiteland, Cheney throttled Edwards, but there was a subsequent inquiry, since Cheney lied his everloving ass off, in the process.

12. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

The presidency will be won by whoever the people in those "dark rooms" of power can manipulate us into selecting. Sometimes, I really think there is a power base that dictates elections no matter the vote. Yeah? If you think the Gore/Bush race was that way, why wouldn't it be that way in any other election? Is it just that certain issues actually surfaced this time?

If you feel government is basically corrupt and self-serving, your answer to that, no matter your political/party leaning, should be a resounding "hell yes."

Draft saved Draft deleted